Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Question about tranny shifts

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 03:36 PM
08 February TOTM

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Question about tranny shifts

I have noticed since I had my PCM reflashed at my 30K service visit my transmission shifts differently. Lets say I'm cruising along at any speed where the rpms are around 1K or even 1500 and I punch the accelerator to the floor. The trans proceeds to down shift and the truck seems to feel like it looses power and falls face forward until the rpms get above 1800 then it has it's power back. This is with the shifter in the overdrive position. If I push the button to turn the overdrive off it doesn't do this. But again, it does it at any speed where the rpms are low, including 20mph. So I can't see the truck already being in overdrive. Obviously it is worse at 40 mph than any other speed shifting out of OD, but still, I don't understand why it would do it at the lower speeds too. if I'm going 60mph or above it doesn't seem to do it or isn't really noticeable.

Mike's tunes seem to make it do it worse with less than full throttle. I spoke with him about this and he said it's because his tunes are making more power and that it has something to do with the way Ford has the shift schedule for my pcm code and at 40mph it feels this way because it's scheduled to down shift to second on full throttle command. He also said something about the reason I start to feel the power come back (my 1800rpm range) really at 2100 rpms (he said depending on the accuracy of the gauge) is having to do with that's were the Torque converter locks up. I do have an appointment to see him for the other stuff he's doing to my truck next week. Hopefully he can adjust something so it doesn't do it as bad.

When I had the Edge in my truck after the PCM was reflashed I didn't notice this issue. But it didn't seem to want to work right in my truck after the reflash.

Can I get some opinions on this please?
Old 03-13-2008, 05:18 PM
NGM
Resident A-hole

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

He can go in with the SCT software and change the shift points of the truck if you want. I wonder if Ford put in a torq reduction like Dodge does and thats why it falls in its face at first downshift.

Quick Reply: Question about tranny shifts