Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

question about spark plug removal tool for 3 valve

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 04:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default question about spark plug removal tool for 3 valve

Im changing my plugs in my 06 150 and i got all but one out the lower half broke off with the porcelian still in it. im looking at getting the tool to get it out just want to make sure i get the right tool being that its gonna be around $80! im looking at the Spark plug removal tool from O'Reillys part number 65600! is this the tool i need or is there another way to get it out?
Old 07-31-2010, 06:48 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

That's the correct tool. There is another one but you have to glue a piece into the porcelin and wait. This tool is the best one.
Old 08-01-2010, 01:54 AM

the one I got was made by Lisle and it's part number is 65600. I pulled 5 of my 8 with it. And where you said it broke, that's perfect. you want it to have broken flush to where the sleeve is crimped around the upper 1/2 of the plug. then your tool will work just perfect. the first tool in your kit pushes the broken porcelain down to the bottom of the "strap" infact on all 5 of mine, it broke the strap, and of course it was still connected on one side of the strap so it came out with the plug. but yea, don't worry if the strap broke that's normal, infact i think it's supposed to happen because you need that much travel to get your other tool, which is the tap, to actually grab. I tried to not break the strap on one of them, and i couldn't get enough of the tap to grab so I have to push more porcelain down. It is not a big deal. even the far back 2 behind the computer, which broke for me, were not that bad to get out. They say to turn the plug 1/4 turn then let soak for 1/2 hour with blaster. by my 3rd one, i said forget the 30 minute soaking. I could break the plug and extract it in 15 minutes. and if a tiny piece of porcelain breaks off when it p unches through the strap don't worry about it, it will get destroyed pretty quick. that happened to 2 of mine, and yea there will be lots of hear say about it wrecking your engine, but that's just hear say. never seen it or heard of it.
Old 08-01-2010, 11:24 AM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I also used the Lisle 65600 like Bloodvette and the tool was great. It removed 6 out of the 8 of mine. I'm also in complete agreeance that using the Ford TSB is a complete waste of time. Just back them out like normal and if they do break just use the tool to get it out. It's actually quicker that way. I also removed the battery, computer and computer mount to free up room on the left side of the motor which will really help when you need to get to the back 2 coils. It's not that bad of a job, just make sure you give yourself enough time and have your extensions and swivels ready.
Old 08-01-2010, 12:31 PM
VanoFord2

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

yes you have the right tool and number.Tool works great.I have the tool also.Worked on plug 6&7 that broke when i did mine.Saved me 2grand.That was the going the price around the stealerships before they got the tool.The stealerships.Good luck man.
Old 08-01-2010, 12:58 PM

Thanks for all the help guys! tool worked great it did leave a few peices of the porcelian in the motor but i riged up some small hoses with the shop vac and got it out! i wasnt sure if it would be a big problem just didnt want to take that chance!
Old 08-01-2010, 01:44 PM

lucky you only had one plug break on you. Out of curiosity, how many miles is your truck at?
Old 08-01-2010, 01:52 PM

Yea i know i was pretty happy! it was the front right looking at the motor so i got lucky! 107k miles and the plugs were super nasty!

Quick Reply: question about spark plug removal tool for 3 valve