Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Question about Oil pressure sensor,or fake sensor

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 09:30 PM
Posttal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Question about Oil pressure sensor,or fake sensor

I'm curious, I was just sitting here thinking about fords stupid oil pressure switch on my 2006 Lariat.The Guage is pretty much a dummy guage.Its more like a on and off switch..like a digital signal...the pressure hits a set value and the guage goes to a set position.But I'm curious..and this might sound stupid and may of been discussed before..but can you replace the sending unit with an older analog type sensor and get an actual oil pressure reading? Or replace both the sending unit and guage and use the exsisting harness to get an actual pressure?
Old 03-23-2010, 07:08 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

It should be as simple as contacting a company such as VDO....

Here's their web site:

http://www.vdo.com/generator/www/com...e/home_en.html

Select the "contact us" tab in the upper right, and ask them!
Old 03-23-2010, 01:52 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Awhile back I heard of a way of modding the factory gauge/sender with a resistor to get it to show true pressure, Most of the OEM's use the "Dummy" gauge because average people would complain seeing their oil pressure dropping at idle.

I'd love to do this myself, I hate dummy gauges!
Old 03-23-2010, 03:24 PM
Posttal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A lot of people I bet have no idea that there gage is no more than an on and off switch the same as a light....but it looks purdy
I know you can buy after market gages but I dont want to add an extra gage or put something in the dash that doesn't match.I'd like to see if theres a conversion of some type.The sending unit on the motor shouldn't be a problem..but making the gage actually read the variations to give a more accurate reading might take a bit..maybe as you say some type of resistor like an older anolog gage would have.
Its not critical..but it is something that would be more useful to monitor your engine.

Quick Reply: Question about Oil pressure sensor,or fake sensor