Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Question about mudflaps on an 08' F150

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 03:33 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Question about mudflaps on an 08' F150

Hi guys I have a 08' F150 STX 4x4 and I was wondering if driving it without mudflaps is bad for the vehicle. I mean it is never taken off road or on gravel roads so is there anyone who doesn't use them and everything is good? Thanks. Sorry for being paranoid!
Old 04-27-2009, 08:49 PM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Driving without mudflaps isn't really a bad thing. They do prevent "SOME" of the stones from your tires from hitting the rockerpanels, and the help keep "SOME" of the slush and ice out from under your truck in the winter. I have mudflaps on my 2008 because during the winter, slush and ice accumulates right between the front fenders and doors, and freezes, and could damage (bend) the door, when someone tries to open or close it. The flaps solved that problem.

BUT, mudflaps can be bad too. If not installed properly, things like salt and moisture can get trapped behind them, and cause rust. That's especially true if you have the type of mudflaps where drilling is required for installation.

If you do go offroad, mudflaps can be a hinderance. There's always a possibility that you'll try to drive over something that the mudflaps won't clear. Then you mess up the mudflap, and potentially put a nice crease in your rear rocker panels. So for off-road, I'd say no.

Quick Reply: Question about mudflaps on an 08' F150