Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Question About a Lift Kit

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2014, 03:39 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Question About a Lift Kit

Hey guys its almost tax season time and that means truck parts for us fellas living the single life. I do have one concern and I know MPG and Lift dont go together in the same sentence. I also know this has probably been beat to death already. I drive about 300 miles a week, sometimes more. It's pretty much mixed driving. My truck is a 2005 fx4 supercab (5.4, 3.73ls, and a flareside bed), right now it has nothing but a si/do exhaust, a drop in air filter, and 265's. As my truck sits now I'm only getting 13mpg on an average week. How much is it going to go down from going to a 6" lift and 315's? or should I try 305's maybe? If I could stay at 11+ I could justify doing it. I'm just weary of me already being at 13 with 265's and going to 315's I would drop to like 8 or 9. I'm considering a gryphon and e fans as well as custom tunes though so that may help..

What do you guys think? How is everyone getting the same mileage I am on 315's and im on 265's? lol. and how goofy would a 6" lift with 305's look? Pics anyone?!
Old 01-25-2014, 04:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by WVXC450R
Hey guys its almost tax season time and that means truck parts for us fellas living the single life. I do have one concern and I know MPG and Lift dont go together in the same sentence. I also know this has probably been beat to death already. I drive about 300 miles a week, sometimes more. It's pretty much mixed driving. My truck is a 2005 fx4 supercab (5.4, 3.73ls, and a flareside bed), right now it has nothing but a si/do exhaust, a drop in air filter, and 265's. As my truck sits now I'm only getting 13mpg on an average week. How much is it going to go down from going to a 6" lift and 315's? or should I try 305's maybe? If I could stay at 11+ I could justify doing it. I'm just weary of me already being at 13 with 265's and going to 315's I would drop to like 8 or 9. I'm considering a gryphon and e fans as well as custom tunes though so that may help..

What do you guys think? How is everyone getting the same mileage I am on 315's and im on 265's? lol. and how goofy would a 6" lift with 305's look? Pics anyone?!
First off id like to know how your mpg is around 13 without a lift or bigger tires. i average a little more then that with a 6'' lift and 325 tires. Maybe different driving habits. The gryphon will help more then the efan imo. iv only known efans to give at most 1 or 1.5, and considering the cost associated with em, dont return the investment very fast (unless you pick up a fan from a different car, theres some guys that took e fans out of old cars and it worked)

just an estimate, but if your averaging 13 now, after a 6'' and 315's i would think it about 10mpg average. i seemed to pick up 4 or 5 mpg when i switched my stock size tires on for a few days
Old 01-25-2014, 10:51 PM

I keep wanting to know the same thing! I do live in West Virginia so we do have some hills here and there but I consider my driving to be pretty conservative. I'm going to get my plugs changed (107k miles) and a gryphon and see if that helps any.. I could probably live with 10mpg though.. I figured it up and I can do the E-fans for about $200 so I may do it eventually too.
Old 01-26-2014, 07:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a lift, efans and 315 tires, duals, headers, cams, supercharger and 4.56 gears and get about 11-12 in warm weather. The gears really helped put the power band back. With 3.73 gears yours is going to struggle pulling those tires with a lift. You will lose 2-3 MPG I think.
Old 01-27-2014, 03:04 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I currently have a 6" and 35's and when i just checked my mileage I was getting right around 10.9 mpg Now also keep in mind I have not done gears on this. so I am running around trying to push these big ol tires on less than a factory gear. I will be stepping my gears up very soon in which case I am hoping to gain back some economy. I will also be doing the granatelli coils that are suppose to help with economy so here pretty soon I should have some feedback for you. As a side note i am getting 10.9 mpg and I drive like a jerk so I am a little heavy on the skinny pedal if you know what I mean
Old 01-27-2014, 06:27 PM

Received 55 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by WVXC450R
Hey guys its almost tax season time and that means truck parts for us fellas living the single life. I do have one concern and I know MPG and Lift dont go together in the same sentence. I also know this has probably been beat to death already. I drive about 300 miles a week, sometimes more. It's pretty much mixed driving. My truck is a 2005 fx4 supercab (5.4, 3.73ls, and a flareside bed), right now it has nothing but a si/do exhaust, a drop in air filter, and 265's. As my truck sits now I'm only getting 13mpg on an average week. How much is it going to go down from going to a 6" lift and 315's? or should I try 305's maybe? If I could stay at 11+ I could justify doing it. I'm just weary of me already being at 13 with 265's and going to 315's I would drop to like 8 or 9. I'm considering a gryphon and e fans as well as custom tunes though so that may help.. What do you guys think? How is everyone getting the same mileage I am on 315's and im on 265's? lol. and how goofy would a 6" lift with 305's look? Pics anyone?!
I live in good ol' WV too, I have a 5.4 supercab running 285s load e nitto's (read that as really heavy tire), 3.73s mixed driving.... I get about 14.3 on average, I don't drive easy or extremely fast (all the time). I also have a SCT tuner to correct tire size. In stock form I averaged about 16.5. A tuner may net you 1-2 mpg, but don't by one for that, buy it to reprogram the speedo and to correct trans shifts based upon tire size and or gear change. It will save your transmission in the long run (my opinion).

Have you taken into account your mpg calc may be off because of your tire size 1-2 mpg... So you really may be getting better than you think....get a phone app that will give you gps based speedo and miles travelled to compare....
Old 01-27-2014, 11:42 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Well I'm getting around 12 on my 4.6 with 3.55 gears with 325 65 18 stuck under a 6 inch rough country. That is I I keep my foot out of it.
Old 01-28-2014, 01:04 PM

[quote]
I currently have a 6" and 35's and when i just checked my mileage I was getting right around 10.9 mpg Now also keep in mind I have not done gears on this. so I am running around trying to push these big ol tires on less than a factory gear. I will be stepping my gears up very soon in which case I am hoping to gain back some economy. I will also be doing the granatelli coils that are suppose to help with economy so here pretty soon I should have some feedback for you. As a side note i am getting 10.9 mpg and I drive like a jerk so I am a little heavy on the skinny pedal if you know what I mean [quote]

Chriss let me know about those coils. I need to change my plugs and when I have that done I'm going to do my coils too.

Also about how much does a gear change from a reputable shop run you?

07_F150 - I hadn't really considered that because I figured that I was running the stock tire size so it should not be off any..

I'm going to order a gryphon and change my plugs and maybe the coils here in a few weeks and see how that all goes and what my mpg ends up being then..

Old 01-28-2014, 03:25 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

[QUOTE=WVXC450R;3261236][quote]
I currently have a 6" and 35's and when i just checked my mileage I was getting right around 10.9 mpg Now also keep in mind I have not done gears on this. so I am running around trying to push these big ol tires on less than a factory gear. I will be stepping my gears up very soon in which case I am hoping to gain back some economy. I will also be doing the granatelli coils that are suppose to help with economy so here pretty soon I should have some feedback for you. As a side note i am getting 10.9 mpg and I drive like a jerk so I am a little heavy on the skinny pedal if you know what I mean

Chriss let me know about those coils. I need to change my plugs and when I have that done I'm going to do my coils too.

Also about how much does a gear change from a reputable shop run you?

07_F150 - I hadn't really considered that because I figured that I was running the stock tire size so it should not be off any..

I'm going to order a gryphon and change my plugs and maybe the coils here in a few weeks and see how that all goes and what my mpg ends up being then..

I am actually in the process of putting together some gear packages. IE. Gears front and rear as well as install kits. I should hopefully be able to post those soon. As far as the coils go working on that one. I will certainly try to keep you updated on that as it comes

Old 01-28-2014, 04:26 PM

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

I have a 6in lift with 35x12.50R20 with the 5.4L and 3.73 gears and on average I get high 13 to low 14mpg which is about 20 miles highway and 10 miles city every day. when I'm actually nice to it I usually get 16mpg on the same route. I also have a SI/DO muffler, volant CAI, and a gryphon programmer.

Quick Reply: Question About a Lift Kit