Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

question about fuel system

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 09:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default question about fuel system

Hello all,
So I am new here and a first time F150 owner. I just purchased a 2004 F150 that I am planning on building into a long travel desert truck. Still in the beginning stages, but pulled off the bed the other day and since i will be doing some cutting and welding I figured I would remove the gas tank since I plan on relocating it anyways in the future. Once i pulled the bed I noticed something unfamiliar looking to me. There is a long tube type canister that the fuel lines are running to. Can anyone give me a clue as to what this is and what its purpose is?

Any information would be truly appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 04-23-2014, 10:01 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

It is the evaporative emissions control system. The system absorbs fuel vapors and during engine operation releases them back in to the intake manifold from which are drawn into intake ports where they mix with the in coming air fuel mixture.
The following users liked this post:
calcagno21 (04-24-2014)
Old 04-24-2014, 10:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks IceFishin. I guess i need to research this system a little more! Do you know by any chance if there is any way to bypass it and still run with out issues? Whether just in general and or emissions issues.
Old 04-24-2014, 10:09 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by calcagno21
Thanks IceFishin. I guess i need to research this system a little more! Do you know by any chance if there is any way to bypass it and still run with out issues? Whether just in general and or emissions issues.
To be honest I dont know. Maybe some one with more knowledge will chime in. But from what I have read about it I dont think it would be a good idea as it also releases pressure in the fuel tank and also there are a bunch of sensors that communicate with your PCM that has to do with that system. You should get your self a Haynes or Chilton book and it explains it pretty good.

Quick Reply: question about fuel system