Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Question about 12V and cigarette lighter power

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 04:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Question about 12V and cigarette lighter power

So I recently traded my car in for a 2004 F-150 Lariat. I've got a portable GPS system and a car charger. However, when I turn the truck off, both remain on. Is there any way to stop this so I'm not draining power while the truck is off? Thanks.
Old 06-30-2010, 05:04 PM

Received 147 Likes on 78 Posts

You'll have to do some wiring to do it, wouldn't be that bad, just pull the accessory delay or hot in start from the radio and use it to turn on a relay to control the power point circuit.
Old 06-30-2010, 10:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If draining the battery is what you're worried about then don't. A plug in GPS would probably take a couple of weeks to get the battery to a point where it wouldn't crank the truck.
Old 07-01-2010, 07:41 AM

Received 30 Likes on 5 Posts

Cut the wire that is going to the 12v outlet. Put the hot side on the input to a SPST relay (30). Put the output (to the outlet) on the outlet side of the relay (87). Use a tap splice to connect to the ignition wire and connect to pin 85 on the relay. Ground pin 86, and boom. You are done. Your outlet will now only work when the ignition is turned on.

Relays can be found for <$5 maybe another $10 on wire and connectors (you should use solder and heat shrink, but if you don't have it that is okay, you just have to make sure you get the right size crimp on quick connect connectors for the relay you choose).
Old 07-01-2010, 10:49 AM
Mark

Received 2,410 Likes on 2,111 Posts

Just turn the GPS OFF !! It can't use power when it's off..
Old 07-01-2010, 11:38 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Until I can find a decent aftermarket head unit that has both A2DP (music streaming) and PBA (Phone book xfer/lookup) with voice recognition (built into the unit, not reliant on the phone) and doesnt cost more than $500, I will have to rely on a
Kensington LiquidAUX Kensington LiquidAUX
bluetooth-to-AUX converter. It 'times out' when its left on for extended periods without use which makes it a little tougher to initiate a connection when I get back in. Also, it keeps my phone connected when I get out of the car until it 'times out'.

Both of these are undesirable, so I want one of those outlets to go on and off with the ignition (and ACC position), preferrably the one closest to the driver. Is there a diagram/instruction list with pics that a newbie can follow? I have done some minor re-wiring in my house, so I feel somewhat capable of tackling this project.
Old 07-01-2010, 11:44 AM

Received 147 Likes on 78 Posts

Check out the SPST Relay link in crashtech's post above.

The radio's delayed accessory/ignition power wire is Light Green w/ Yellow.

My sticky in the Audio forum shows how to pull the head unit (it's easy).

Use wire of the same gauge or larger than the existing.

Last edited by GATORB8; 07-01-2010 at 11:46 AM.
Old 07-01-2010, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by GATORB8
Check out the SPST Relay link in crashtech's post above.

The radio's delayed accessory/ignition power wire is Light Green w/ Yellow.

My sticky in the Audio forum shows how to pull the head unit (it's easy).

Use wire of the same gauge or larger than the existing.
So I would tie the relay into the ACC wire from the radio & not the ignition. Would that be easier than tying it into the ignition? Sound like pulling the radio is easier than Crashtech's proposed solution.
Old 07-01-2010, 12:32 PM

Received 30 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by djjr50
So I would tie the relay into the ACC wire from the radio & not the ignition. Would that be easier than tying it into the ignition? Sound like pulling the radio is easier than Crashtech's proposed solution.
::facepalm::

No, the ACC is always on. The ignition is what is active when the key is on. If you hook into the ACC you will still have the outlets be on all the time. You won't have done anything but made it complicated.

Gator is just telling you an easy place to find an ignition wire to hook the relay into. You'll have to pull the radio anyway I bet to get to the outlets in question.

Edit: See this diagram.
Attached Thumbnails Question about 12V and cigarette lighter power-1.jpg  

Last edited by CrashTECH; 07-01-2010 at 12:37 PM.
Old 07-01-2010, 12:56 PM

Thanks, CrashTech. I wasn't totally clear on what he was telling me. Maybe I'll bug you guys when I get ready to do this.

Quick Reply: Question about 12V and cigarette lighter power