Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Pull Codes

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 12:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Pull Codes

On my previous caddilac I got pretty good at getting codes and troubleshooting, but a check here for my 2008 F150 leads me to believe I cant do that with the truck?

Sorry if I am missing an obvious FAQ, but can I get the codes on my own?
Old 09-24-2009, 03:50 PM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 475 Likes on 375 Posts

Yes...plug a scanner into the OBD II connector, located to the right of the steering column.

How did you get them from your caddy? Did it not have an OBD connector? In the early years of diagnostic codes, you used to be able to ground a port on the OBD connector; this caused the check engine light to "flash" the code by turning on/off the light. You had to count the flashes.

No one does this anymore (I hope). It went out about the same time as leaded gas did.

Last edited by Mod (Ret.); 09-24-2009 at 03:55 PM.
Old 09-25-2009, 07:14 PM

Seems an archaic way to get info!? The caddy was a matter of holding the feature button and a mileage button and it did a diag test listing all the codes. I guess people getting that info on their own is like having computer users telling me how to run my network eh?

Is it easy to do? Cheap to purchase?

Thanks for the reply I was hoping I didnt break a forum rule asking the obvious...
Old 09-27-2009, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by jedimole
On my previous caddilac I got pretty good at getting codes and troubleshooting, but a check here for my 2008 F150 leads me to believe I cant do that with the truck?

Sorry if I am missing an obvious FAQ, but can I get the codes on my own?
seriously, you need to elaborated a little bit more. honestly I don’t have a freaking clue as to what you are talking about.

you can pull codes from any vehicle in the US that is a 1996 or newer model using an OBDII scanner. it is required that every make and model vehicle has OBDII after 1996.
Old 09-27-2009, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by jedimole
Seems an archaic way to get info!? The caddy was a matter of holding the feature button and a mileage button and it did a diag test listing all the codes. I guess people getting that info on their own is like having computer users telling me how to run my network eh?

Is it easy to do? Cheap to purchase?

Thanks for the reply I was hoping I didnt break a forum rule asking the obvious...
ok so you want to know how to pull codes from your vehicle.

you can either buy a scanner, or go to a service center. a service center may charge you to scan your truck.

you can also purchase an OBDII scanner from a parts store such as NAPA, Autozone, pepboys ect ect.

these scanners can get pricey the one that I have cost me $425, but I do this for a living, you can usually pick one up for $100-$200 my recommendation is that you don’t skimp get the scanner that will give you the code number as well as the definitions of the number code. Don’t get a scanner that only gives you a code otherwise you will be right back here looking for the definitions to that code.

Good luck

Quick Reply: Pull Codes