Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

programmer help needed ASAP

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2008, 09:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default programmer help needed ASAP

my dad has an 07 f150 with the 5.4 triton and i plan to get him a programmer for christmas to help out his intake and exhaust. what programmers are the best? i am considering superchips or edge. i like how the edge has the dash mounted lcd desplay to cgange tunes when you want to but i don't know which is better. please help me out i need to go to the truck shop tomorrow to order one so its here for christmas. THANKS!
Old 11-28-2008, 11:17 PM
none.

Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts

neither. SCT Xcal3 or the SCT Livewire is the way to go. There is more to a tuner than how cool it looks. SCT has FAR superior programming.

www.vmptuning.com or jawsracing.net
Old 11-28-2008, 11:49 PM

Ive heard nothing but good things about superchips, im gunna buy one next week and also idk if you have a 4 wheel parts near you but they are offering some pretty good deals on programmers
Old 11-29-2008, 12:00 AM

i like how on the edge you can just program the tune you want when you want and dont have to plug in the tuner to reprogram the tune you want. the guy at the shop told me hes installed numerous amounts of edge tuners on f150s and customers have nothing but good to say, plus the display shows coolant temp, exhaust temp, oil temp, cylinder head temp, ect. i'll have to check out sct tuners as well though.
Old 11-29-2008, 12:56 AM
Notorious Thread Editor

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by NissanTy
i like how on the edge you can just program the tune you want when you want and dont have to plug in the tuner to reprogram the tune you want. the guy at the shop told me hes installed numerous amounts of edge tuners on f150s and customers have nothing but good to say, plus the display shows coolant temp, exhaust temp, oil temp, cylinder head temp, ect. i'll have to check out sct tuners as well though.

If you are hell bent on the edge, go with the gryhpon at least. It is an edge re-formatted to accept custom tunes. No tuner is worth squat w/o custom tunes. Look up www.powerhungryperformance if that is where you are headed.

If you want the best tuner.....

As obus stated earlier the SCT tuners are the best on the market.

www.vmptuning.com
www.troyerperformance.com
www.sctflash.com
Old 11-30-2008, 01:08 AM

well guys i ordered the edge evolution tuner today for my dads f150, i looked and searched and found some good stuff but all he needs is a simple tuner. thanks all for the help!
Old 11-30-2008, 02:37 AM
Notorious Thread Editor

Good, I hope he likes it.

If he should desire down the road, PHP can convert that edge to a gryphon and mail in a tune for a very cheap.
Old 11-30-2008, 11:48 AM

i was looking at PHP's website, pretty crazy tunes he can do. we'll have to see how well this tuner works, i hope it helps out the pesky 4 speed and the sluggish shifting.
Old 11-30-2008, 12:53 PM
Notorious Thread Editor

i was looking at PHP's website, pretty crazy tunes he can do. we'll have to see how well this tuner works, i hope it helps out the pesky 4 speed and the sluggish shifting.
It will a little, but remember it is a generic tune in the Edge when you get it and it is made to cover all of the different config's out there. You will notice the different, but any where near as much as custom and they are not too $$. You have the tuner, that's important part. You can always move up from their friend with no problem. Enjoy

Last edited by SinCityFX4; 12-01-2008 at 12:18 AM.
Old 11-30-2008, 09:25 PM
Inaugural TOTM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

You will notice some difference in adding the Edge, but as mentioned, nowhere near the difference if you add custom tuning. Bill at PHP can do some great things so I would give him a shout if you really want to get the most out of your new tuner. Also may want to do a little research, there have been several reported tranny problems with running the stock Edge on these trucks.

Quick Reply: programmer help needed ASAP