Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Problems with shuttering and drive ability issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 02:34 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Problems with shuttering and drive ability issues

So I have posted about this truck before but I am still having an issue. Here is the story/list of what I did.

I bought and 05 f150 4x4 with the 5.4 L. 110,000 miles.

It needed cam phasers and some work.

I started with new spark plugs.
Then cleaned throttle body and MAF.
New fuel filter.
New cam phasers, timing chains, as well as guides etc.
New ball joints up front and tires all balanced.
Getting an alignment tomorrow.

When I take off it shutters really bad and again around 40-55mph.

Also it started making the noise yesterday like the phaser is bad again. I have only put about 10 miles on it since i have done all the work.

I have no check engine or warning lights at all.

Any ideas of what I should look at for either issue.

If I cannot figure it out today I am probably going to paid to have it looked at when I get an alignment done.
Old 05-14-2014, 02:56 PM
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

check the universal joints on the drive shaft, i experienced something similar in my jeep and new u-joints solved it.

maybe check the tie rods but i assume if theres an issue there it will be noticed at allignment time anyway.
Old 05-15-2014, 11:11 AM

Well I finally let it get warmed up and drove it a little. It sounds like it is knocking. I am really afraid that the engine is shot and I wasted $600 on parts for the phasers. I guess I will see for sure what the shop says. I am not going to concern myself with the shutter too much yet until I know if the engine is shot. I found a replacement engine for 1500. But just finished phasers and plugs so I really hope the engine isn't shot.

And I looked at universal joints a couple days ago. They seem to not have much of any play. Probably worth replacing though. Thanks for the input.
Old 05-15-2014, 12:32 PM
Gold Member

Perhaps check your COPs to meake sure they are making proper connection. I did my plugs last year stemming from a shutter which i thought was the rear end slipping. there were small misfires occuring (not enough to trip a CEL though) at low rpm, in O/D at roughly 50 mph when i attempted to accelerate to pull a grade. Anyway, the new plugs and COPs did the trick... did you grease the boots and make sure the connections were tight between the boot and the plug end?
Old 05-15-2014, 02:39 PM

Yeah I did that all yesterday when I made sure the plugs were tight. I am leaning towards the possibility of bad VCT solenoids. Does anyone have an idea in diagnosing them before I just start throwing parts at it?
Old 05-15-2014, 03:06 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I had some shuttering around 40mph+ and it ended up being my hubs engaging and disengaging because of some clogged/cracked vacuum lines. Might be worth a shot to check them.
Old 05-15-2014, 09:46 PM

I looked at them actually two days ago when I replaced all the ball joints up front. They are actually in really good shape. Thanks though.
Old 05-16-2014, 09:00 AM

Default shuddering

had something similar thought tranny was acting up but rear caliper was sticking when it got hot.crazy crap cheaper than a trans.
Old 05-16-2014, 08:18 PM

I will look at those, I know it needs a rear brake job. Thanks for that, maybe one is stuck.

Quick Reply: Problems with shuttering and drive ability issues