Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Problem after installing Lockout!

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 10:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem after installing Lockout!

Okay, I have a 2004 F 150 5.4 3v w/128k miles. I've installled all new timing components and new phasers. New VCT, spark plugs, new fuel filter and had a rough idle. Took it to a mechanic and he told me not enough oil pressure to phasers and to buy lockout. I purchased livernois lockouts and installed. While waiting on the lockout the truck began to miss on up hill climbs and acceleration. After installation I have rough idle all the time and it just runs rough. Threw 3 codes P0171, PO351, P1000...changed COP on #1 with no change...took COP back and got another with no change?

Checked for vaccume leaks and found none...I dont know what to do? Someone please help me if you have any advice.. I know the timing marks were right as I triple checked before pulling the wedge.

Sorry it was so long! Thank you1
Old 02-26-2015, 11:16 PM

Received 264 Likes on 214 Posts

OK, you said you installed all new timing components but you also mentioned pulling the wedge, what did you change? If you changed the chains and guides with the phasers you really didn't need to use a wedge. What brand of phasers did you use, aftermarket have been know to fail right away. But back to the codes, P0171 is a lean code, check to make sure that your PCV hose is tight at the valve cover and at the other end, when I did mine, I had to disconnect and then reconnect it to get it to click. P0351 is a ignition coil A code, check the COP connectors to make sure that they are all connected, and click in place as well as the wiring to the plug. Others have had to replace the plug, you may have to use a multimeter to check another plug and then see if you get the same reading at that plug. Also, check to make sure that you did not pinch the wiring harness in maybe the valve cover during reinstallation. P1000 could just be that your PCM knows that it was disconnected, go through the battery relearn process (link is on first page of this forum under "Stop, read here first" thread. Also, did you load the custom tune after installing the Lockout Set? Let us know how it goes.
Old 02-26-2015, 11:21 PM

Did the timing components few weeks before the lockout including phasers. Just did the lockout and used the wedge as I didn't remove timing cover just valve covers. I check the pcv hose everything was good. I checked the Electrif to the plug in on cop and they all read the same. I did do the battery relearn and I did do the tuning after lockout install
Old 02-26-2015, 11:36 PM

Received 264 Likes on 214 Posts

If it were me then and I had checked all of the things that you said, I would probably just disconnect the battery again, and go through the relearn process one more time just to see if the codes came back. Glitches do happen on these trucks. Also, run some fuel additive like seafoam in your gas (read the directions for proper amount) hopefully the lean code will go away and you wont hurt your cats. How are the O2 sensors?
Old 02-27-2015, 10:51 AM
F150 Forum

Received 546 Likes on 334 Posts

Originally Posted by Mh104084
Okay, I have a 2004 F 150 5.4 3v w/128k miles. I've installled all new timing components and new phasers. New VCT, spark plugs, new fuel filter and had a rough idle. Took it to a mechanic and he told me not enough oil pressure to phasers and to buy lockout. I purchased livernois lockouts and installed. While waiting on the lockout the truck began to miss on up hill climbs and acceleration. After installation I have rough idle all the time and it just runs rough. Threw 3 codes P0171, PO351, P1000...changed COP on #1 with no change...took COP back and got another with no change?

Checked for vaccume leaks and found none...I dont know what to do? Someone please help me if you have any advice.. I know the timing marks were right as I triple checked before pulling the wedge.

Being it's just one back are you certain that the lockouts are installed facing the correct direction? Whenever there is a single bank issue we always recommend verifying both the lockout is installed correctly, and the engine is timed properly. Many times these engines are timed wrong when they are put together with active phasers, and then the problem shows up when you lock them out.
Old 02-27-2015, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by Livernois Motorsports
Being it's just one back are you certain that the lockouts are installed facing the correct direction? Whenever there is a single bank issue we always recommend verifying both the lockout is installed correctly, and the engine is timed properly. Many times these engines are timed wrong when they are put together with active phasers, and then the problem shows up when you lock them out.

The lockout only fits in one hole? I didnt know there was a specific way they faced?
Old 02-27-2015, 01:57 PM
F150 Forum

The lockout only fits in one hole? I didnt know there was a specific way they faced?
It only fits in one hole, but it can fit forward and backwards. This is why we take a picture of the final product to help prevent this. It is a common mistake though.
Old 02-27-2015, 06:50 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I was under the impression that after you did the lockouts you needed to reflash your ECU. They have a tune that is designed to work with the lockouts, did you install this tune as well? Remember the Phasers are part of a variable timing system and locking them will force the timing to a single setting therefore requiring a tune to compensate.
Old 02-27-2015, 06:58 PM
F150 Forum

Originally Posted by izzysplace
I was under the impression that after you did the lockouts you needed to reflash your ECU. They have a tune that is designed to work with the lockouts, did you install this tune as well? Remember the Phasers are part of a variable timing system and locking them will force the timing to a single setting therefore requiring a tune to compensate.
Well, I had assumed that he bought the whole kit. Sometimes its easy to look past the easy questions.

But yes, you need the tuner and all. You cannot install the lockouts without our tuner, or you will have a myriad of drivability issues.
Old 11-03-2020, 02:15 PM

did you ever find out what the issue was ?

Quick Reply: Problem after installing Lockout!