Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

probably a really dumb question, but would appreciate help

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 10:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default probably a really dumb question, but would appreciate help

I am going to a concert next weekend and will be tailgating for several hours (probably about 6 hours) before the concert begins so I'd like to use my mp3 player to play some music while we do that. i figure i can just use the aux input in my stereo to play the music, but how long can i blast music through the stereo without running the engine at all?

i have a 2007 F-150 XLT if that matters at all. i realize this is probably a very dumb question but i'm just not sure cuz i've never tried it and i don't want to risk a dead battery at all.

Last edited by njnets21; 06-17-2009 at 10:58 AM.
Old 06-17-2009, 11:01 AM
Notorious Thread Editor

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts

What do you have in the way of electronics in the truck? Do you have an amp for the stereo? Probably better of just getting one of the MP3 speaker docks. What kind of mp3 is it.

5 hours is probably a bit too long.

Oh...weclome to the forum.
Old 06-17-2009, 11:02 AM
American Muscle

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I would not do it for more than 30 min man. Take jumper cables with you. best case scenario is play it for 15 min, turn the truck on for a min or 2, then play it for another 15 min, turn the truck on etc...Really the only safe way to go.
Old 06-17-2009, 11:04 AM
American Muscle

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Im sure that battery would last a lot longer than 30 min, but i wouldnt risk it. Maybe do it an hour at a time and turn the truck on every hour, that is definately the max i would personally do.
Old 06-17-2009, 11:24 AM

i went camping last weekend and had my ipod running through the stereo for about 3 or 4 hours, no problems... wouldn't suggest doing that very much tho.
Old 06-17-2009, 11:29 AM
Its a Canes Thing.

i got a system in my truck had it playing for about 3 hrs at about medium volume with a good bump started to die out so i turned it off and about and hr later turned on fine. didnt try turning it on during the hr break.

08 screw
Old 06-17-2009, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by SinCityFX4
What do you have in the way of electronics in the truck? Do you have an amp for the stereo? Probably better of just getting one of the MP3 speaker docks. What kind of mp3 is it.

5 hours is probably a bit too long.

Oh...weclome to the forum.
the great news i'm gathering from responses so far is that it wasn't a dumb question afterall since there is no straight-forward answer.

i have the standard stereo with no modifications at all. I would be connecting my Zune to the aux input and, in order to hear among the tailgating crowd, playing the volume at a fairly high level.

So far what i'm getting from the responses is that i just shouldnt do it at all. i don't want to risk anything and playing for just 15-30 minutes at a time sounds like more of a hassle than anything else.

as for using a speaker dock of some sort, i thought of that but there are no cheap options and i do have a nice pair of simple pc speakers with an aux input, but that needs AC power. i could get a power inverter but i dont know anything about them and then there is still the question of using the power inverter for several hours also.

thanks for all your help guys.
Old 06-17-2009, 12:01 PM
Administrator

Received 1,683 Likes on 588 Posts

I, too have a stock system and have used my radio/mp3 player at the river for a couple of hours at a time but I went and started it for about 10-15 minutes every couple of hours.
Old 06-17-2009, 01:09 PM

Man... stock setup you can do it for a good while. I have personally let my stereo run for about 7 hrs. before without starting my truck. I wasn't that worried about being stranded because 1.) I ALWAYS have jumper cables... I get calls about once a month to go jump start somebody's car. 2.) I was at the house in the driveway and knew my roommate would be there to jump start my truck if necessary. Anyway, we shut the party down about 3 and when I went out at 10 the next day it cranked up fine. Although... I wouldn't recommend most people doing this and especially not often. But, there's only one sure-fire way to find out. I'd say go for it if you want, just carry some jumper cables just in case. I'm sure you can find somebody to jump you off in a crowded parking lot.
Old 06-17-2009, 01:19 PM
corey

Originally Posted by TexAG_09
Man... stock setup you can do it for a good while. I have personally let my stereo run for about 7 hrs. before without starting my truck. I wasn't that worried about being stranded because 1.) I ALWAYS have jumper cables... I get calls about once a month to go jump start somebody's car. 2.) I was at the house in the driveway and knew my roommate would be there to jump start my truck if necessary. Anyway, we shut the party down about 3 and when I went out at 10 the next day it cranked up fine. Although... I wouldn't recommend most people doing this and especially not often. But, there's only one sure-fire way to find out. I'd say go for it if you want, just carry some jumper cables just in case. I'm sure you can find somebody to jump you off in a crowded parking lot.
im with that guy

Quick Reply: probably a really dumb question, but would appreciate help