Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Probably a dumb question

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 04:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Probably a dumb question

Has anyone noticed MPG changes from adding a leveling kit ?

I only ask because after looking at my truck the change in the angle of the front end when adding a leveling kit would have to change the airflow over the vehicle which should result in the tailgate catching less drag and creating more of an airfoil behind the truck. If it does change the MPG Im sure its killed by the larger tires but just a dumb question to ask anyway.
Old 01-17-2012, 05:33 PM

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Not really a dumb question. It's along the same lines as whether or not a tonneau cover saves gas mileage.... just to a lesser extend, I would imagine. I found this article about a study that was done in 2007 basically proving the tonneau cover thing to be a myth. Only a 4%-8% reduction in drag which relates to very little gas savings. So I can't see how tailgate angle would amount to any savings at all. Check it out.

http://www.tundraheadquarters.com/bl...-economy-myth/
Old 01-17-2012, 06:19 PM
08 F150 LIMITED

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Not to get in a debate over this but to just tell my story(I don't care if you believe it or not) Back in 1990 I had a 87 f150 manual Trans and 302 motor, during the winter months I had a peice of plywood that covered the bed of the truck from rail to rail to keep hunting dogs in the the bed of the truck. Now outside of hunting season there was no cover over the bed of the truck(it was open) and tailgate was in place and up. There is a section of road that goes down hill for about a 1/2 mile straight...When the cover wasn't on the truck I couldn't get it to go any faster then 75 mph floorboarded but when the cover was on the truck it would bury the needle. Was as far as it being a myth I know the artical has no merit that I would believe in as I have seen what a cover can do.
Old 01-17-2012, 06:31 PM

Received 502 Likes on 324 Posts

Originally Posted by 04FX4SCab

I only ask because after looking at my truck the change in the angle of the front end when adding a leveling kit would have to change the airflow over the vehicle which should result in the tailgate catching less drag and creating more of an airfoil behind the truck. If it does change the MPG Im sure its killed by the larger tires but just a dumb question to ask anyway.
The tailgate angle has nothing to do with it. The manufacturs build the truck with a slight nose down attitude and install a chin spoiler to reduce air flow under the truck wich is the least streamlined part of the vehicle. they do this to get the C.D. number down that is used to calculate EPA MPG numbers IN the real world I doubt you would see a messurable change with just a moderate level but big tires that is a differnt story. and as a side note the level will efect high speed handling to some degree
Old 01-17-2012, 07:02 PM
Mark

Received 2,410 Likes on 2,111 Posts

You will not be able to see the increase if any...now the larger tires you install may not help...
Old 01-17-2012, 07:19 PM

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by diamonbird
Not to get in a debate over this but to just tell my story(I don't care if you believe it or not) Back in 1990 I had a 87 f150 manual Trans and 302 motor, during the winter months I had a peice of plywood that covered the bed of the truck from rail to rail to keep hunting dogs in the the bed of the truck. Now outside of hunting season there was no cover over the bed of the truck(it was open) and tailgate was in place and up. There is a section of road that goes down hill for about a 1/2 mile straight...When the cover wasn't on the truck I couldn't get it to go any faster then 75 mph floorboarded but when the cover was on the truck it would bury the needle. Was as far as it being a myth I know the artical has no merit that I would believe in as I have seen what a cover can do.
Well. I don't doubt there was a noticeable difference with the plywood on. The article leaves a lot of loose ends. Largest being that drag is reduced "depending on speed". So I'm sure that with speeds of 75mph+, drag plays a much larger role. As well as wind speed and direction. Just too many factors to prove anything. Interesting article anyway.

Regardless, my point was that a leveling kit changing rake angle won't provide any NOTICEABLE change in MPGs. *(under normal driving conditions) lol!
Old 01-17-2012, 07:49 PM

I honestly dont care about the MPG but was more curious. I just ordered my HBS 2.5" kit and it had me thinking about possible benefits of the leveling kit.

I had a '72 Chevrolet 1 1/4 ton 4X4 with 12" suspension lift, 3" body lift and 42" Super Swampers. That plus a built 396 CID big block and 5:73 diff gears out of a military truck meant a top speed of roughly 40 MPH and 2-3 MPG with 104 Octane Cam2 racing fuel. This should prove that I dont give a crap about MPG LOL.
The following users liked this post:
cosway (06-30-2013)
Old 01-17-2012, 08:59 PM

Received 55 Likes on 53 Posts

I had a '72 Chevrolet 1 1/4 ton 4X4 with 12" suspension lift, 3" body lift and 42" Super Swampers. That plus a built 396 CID big block and 5:73 diff gears out of a military truck meant a top speed of roughly 40 MPH and 2-3 MPG with 104 Octane Cam2 racing fuel. This should prove that I dont give a crap about MPG LOL.

Holy crap 2-3mpg.... ...got any pics?
Old 01-17-2012, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by 07_F150_XLT_SCab
Holy crap 2-3mpg.... ...got any pics?
I wish I still had pics. I built the truck back in the early 90's when I was still in high school. That was way before the ease of digital cameras and instant photos.

I see your in West Va. I actually bought the wheels, tires, and lift for that truck from the 4wd store in Wheeling, WVa and drove it to Davis, WVa a couple times for the Blackwater 100.
Old 01-18-2012, 10:32 AM
08 F150 LIMITED

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

CJooper, I see your point and think you are a smart man as I did over look the speed being an issue of resistances no matter what was or is on the truck!

Quick Reply: Probably a dumb question