Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Probably a dumb 4" lift Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2014, 11:07 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Probably a dumb 4" lift Question

So I'm in the market for a level/small lift for my 07 XLT 4x4 and I've read a bunch of threads as far as 6" lifts as to what all needs to be done in addition to the lift kit itself (i.e. wheels w/ different BS, possibly re-gearing, etc.) but I haven't found as much on 4" lifts.

So for my actual question: What all needs to be done? Especially as far as wheels. I plan to get 33 or 34 inch tires, probably an aggressive AT but maybe a MT, which I think should fit on my stock 18's but is there anything else I need to consider?

Thanks y'all!
Old 02-08-2014, 01:44 AM
F150 Forum

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Mainly the only difference between a 4" suspension lift and a 6" lift will be the distance of drop on all the brackets (Crossmember, differential, brake extensions, ect..) With some true suspension lifts you will be able to get away with stock offset wheels such as the Rancho (discontinued for 04-08) which is what I run on my truck.

If you plan on only getting 33" or 34" tires, I would suggest just sticking with a leveling kit. Would be cheaper for your goals, and you would be able to retain your stock wheels depending on the width of tires.

Hope this helped you out even if it wasn't by much!
Old 02-08-2014, 11:46 AM

Thanks! Yeah that did help. As far as tires I would love 35s but I don't want to get into regearing and stuff. I figure ill stick with the level then
Old 02-08-2014, 12:11 PM

Received 532 Likes on 438 Posts

Originally Posted by 07-XLT4WD
Thanks! Yeah that did help. As far as tires I would love 35s but I don't want to get into regearing and stuff. I figure ill stick with the level then
4" lifts tend to lift you up around 5 Inches.. I personally think 35's look perfect on a 4 inch lift..
Old 02-08-2014, 12:33 PM
F150 Forum

Here is a picture of mine with a 4" Rancho and 35's. It lifted it around 5".

35's on a 2.5" level. Finding the perfect offset was critical to get this to work as well as it did. I ended up lifting due to having issues with angles caused by the leveling kits on my cv shafts.

Finally, leveled with stock size tires.

Old 02-08-2014, 12:40 PM

Received 532 Likes on 438 Posts

Originally Posted by CustomTruckSolutions
Here is a picture of mine with a 4" Rancho and 35's. It lifted it around 5". 35's on a 2.5" level. Finding the perfect offset was critical to get this to work as well as it did. I ended up lifting due to having issues with angles caused by the leveling kits on my cv shafts. Finally, leveled with stock size tires.
^^^^ like I said, it looks perfect!

Those white heads and fogs are nice touch too!
Old 02-08-2014, 12:44 PM
Stormtrooper

Received 56 Likes on 56 Posts

Here is a picture of mine with a 4" Rancho and 35's. It lifted it around 5". 35's on a 2.5" level. Finding the perfect offset was critical to get this to work as well as it did. I ended up lifting due to having issues with angles caused by the leveling kits on my cv shafts. Finally, leveled with stock size tires.

man, i LOVE ur truck !! what size r those rims

Trending Topics

Old 02-08-2014, 10:58 PM

Sweet looking truck man!! Sorry I had baseball all afternoon and been busy. So Ive heard the regearing for 35s a lot but I feel like a lot of other people don't. What did you do? And if not did you notice and substantial lose of power?
Old 02-09-2014, 01:19 AM
F150 Forum

Thanks guys! The white heads and fogs were something I did in my spare time. I don't know how I did without them before! lol

I ran the stock 3.73's for a couple years after getting the 35's. I was perfectly fine with them as far as driving the truck and not feeling like I was tearing it up. Where I had issues was when I began towing more frequently. It had trouble pulling up hills and pulling heavier loads. So when I was able to afford the gear swap I decided to pull the trigger. I don't regret it one bit! Pulls up hills perfectly now, if not a little better than stock. Feels much more powerful as well. If you do get 35's, I wouldn't consider it a needed immediate investment, but I would definitely keep it in mind as something you might want to do down the road in case you begin towing more frequently.
Old 02-09-2014, 10:03 AM

Thanks guys! The white heads and fogs were something I did in my spare time. I don't know how I did without them before! lol

I ran the stock 3.73's for a couple years after getting the 35's. I was perfectly fine with them as far as driving the truck and not feeling like I was tearing it up. Where I had issues was when I began towing more frequently. It had trouble pulling up hills and pulling heavier loads. So when I was able to afford the gear swap I decided to pull the trigger. I don't regret it one bit! Pulls up hills perfectly now, if not a little better than stock. Feels much more powerful as well. If you do get 35's, I wouldn't consider it a needed immediate investment, but I would definitely keep it in mind as something you might want to do down the road in case you begin towing more frequently.
Ok great! I don't tow much right now but it could pick up down the road. Anything else important to look at besides the kit and tires?

Quick Reply: Probably a dumb 4" lift Question