Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Powersteering pump

Old 01-28-2014, 11:39 AM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Question Powersteering pump

Has anyone ever replaced the power steering pump on there 5.4L? I put a new belt and idler pulley on my truck last night and while I was checking all of the other pulleys for play I noticed that I could move the pulley on the power steering pump straight in and out of the pump about 1/8" of an inch. There is no up and down free play but it moves in and out. I bought a new pump and a new pulley already I am just wondering how hard it is or if I can even do it myself.
Old 01-28-2014, 01:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did my power steering pump myself, overall it wasn't terribly bad. Some of the bolts are a total PITA to get to though, if I remember right it was on bottom ones on the back of the pump. Just have something to catch power steering fluid when you take the reservoir hose off!
Old 01-29-2014, 02:07 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You might want to consider replacing the hoses as well, as long as you are draining things anyway. I don't know about the Dakotas, but here in CT they have been using magnesium chloride vs pure rock salt on the roads for the last few years. Its nice that it works in colder weather, but it just EATS brake lines and the fittings on PS hoses. Check for corrosion, especially at the fittings on the steering rack.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Powersteering pump