Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Powerloss, money loss...

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2009, 12:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Powerloss, money loss...

I drive a 98 expy,

This a post for my old man's 2004 f150 lariat.

I wish to god I had never told him to buy this thing. I've had my 98 expedition (used x cop) for over 4 years with some seriously beat on miles. Never let me down once, not a tick, not a tablespoon of oil between changes. So when I found a good deal on a ford truck for my old man, the decision was easy.

The lariat is a beautiful truck and drove like a car. It came with a tick from the engine that I was told from a ford mechanic, was normal. Problem is this:

4 months ago when we bought this truck, you could put the hammer down from a stop and it would spin the rears no prob. Now, no spin just gug gug gug gug, and it has lost some serious punch.

The thing pulls to the right on the freeway like you would not believe and shakes so much that I can't see clear out of the sideview mirrors. I can see the hood shake too at the hinges. Brakes ended up costing my old man $1400 including tax and labour. I asked the mech why and he said that the "good" rotors are $250 a piece. I was too late to save the old man from that joke of a shop. Still shakes and pulls.

The power loss:

I figure tune it up right? Wrong. if I attempt to remove a plug I am utterly f'd. I read the posts and I do not want to have chunks of plug in combustion chamber. crappy design.

engine tick:

injector, programmimg, normal? I don't care what mechanic says what. If you know a thing about engines, than you know that it is a metal to metal tick from inside the engine. It will eventualy fail. your engine is trying to tell you something. That in any case from any vehicle is a problem and not normal. Putting lucas or oil additives in your engine, that's for tired old failing engines. I ran lucas in it and it sounds exactly the same. again crappy design.

Leaky and humming rear diff, shaking and pulling just magicly appeared 4 months after we bought it. the guy who owned it before gave us all of the fluid and tune up records from ford. Spark plugs are long due......

The button for the back up beep thingy has gone berzerk. Just stopped working one day.

Frustrated and wish I had never put my dad through this and all he wants is one thing. For this "truck" to step up to the plate and screw it's ***** back on and actually pull.

The tick, the diff, the button, fine ford screwed up, we'll get it fixed it's old, makes sense. But there is no point if there is no power. My dad drives this truck very easy in case anyone thinks it got bagged on for the last 4 months.

If anyone has any insight on how to recover the powerloss, pls let me know. I don't mean to dog on ford or make anyone feel bad, I love my ford and it practically is a f150 with a third row.

but come on, way to let your ford fan down.
Old 07-04-2009, 05:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

as far as the tune up goes. you are going to have to get the plugs out one way or another. I suggest you try and find someone who has a "ford tool" for the broken plugs if you encounter it. other wise just take it easy. I have done a few tune ups in the lariats I have never not been able to get the spark plugs out. I have had the ceramic break, ive had them siezed in and Ive had them cross threaded in, but they all come out eventually.

as for the vibration and pull goes have you gotten the alignmet checked? how are the tires? chopped? worn out on one the edges? one edge? any broken or bent parts in the suspension and/or steering systems? are all you joints tight? ball, tie rods (inner and outer) are your wheel bearings worn out or shot?

and the tick: has the ECU been reprogramed? if so you may consider adjusting the timing. if not I would check the timing. other than that I got nothing else for the tick.

and the button, unfortunatley I have heard of this happening on the exploers as well, but I have never personally ran into it. Im sure someone else may have.

hope some of this helps
Old 07-04-2009, 07:57 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

i think your pa, got took on the brakes..you can get all new parts for well under 500 bucks if you know where to look. with oem quality or better parts.

yea the plugs are touchy, there is a service bulletin to help lessen the chance of breaking a plug, but there is no guarantees though. also depending on mileage, a good injector cleaning, fuel filter change, wouldn't hurt either.

the engine tick is just one of those things, using the motorcraft oil helps, if your not using it already

if you need any help on how to anything, feel free to ask
Old 07-04-2009, 10:35 PM

Thanks for your help guys. So the next move was to get the Shake and pull fixed. The alignment shop said that one tire ( the right ) has a problem and they can't align it until it is replaced.

Since all the tires are around, the old man decided to replace them all. In canada, bc. Costco charges $330 a piece for 245 65 18 michelin light truck tires. I've bought some serious tread for my truck but I have never paid near that amount. I might just hop across the border to bellingham to buy new tires.

After that, I have to change the axle seals. god forbid that axle oil leaks all over the rear brakes. Don't need another $1400 bill.

Thanks again for your help!
Old 07-05-2009, 01:34 AM

dude it sounds like pa got a POS....
Old 07-05-2009, 02:11 AM
Notorious Thread Editor

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts

Who the did he buy this thing from? Jesus...did he have it inspected or anything before the purchase.
Old 07-05-2009, 02:54 AM

^^^sounds like the mother fell apart on ya
Old 07-05-2009, 10:43 AM

There's no doubt in my mind it's a POS. I've read a bit more in the forums on this truck. I think it's time to stop the bleeding ( financialy ) and just pick up a truck with some quality. Known limited slip and transmission problems? What else is left?

Are you kidding me? I never thought I'd ever say this but I will never buy a newer ford truck. Even the newer diesels have problems.

The truck was bought private from a one owner guy well into his 50's. He never towed with it and used it mostly freeway.

I looked at it first, then ford. None of these problems were apparent when we bought this thing. It drove like a dream. they even let me look underneath when it was getting inspected.

It just sucks how it started to fall apart last second.
Old 07-05-2009, 10:47 AM

You know what, I remember when we bought this truck and how well it ran, and I loved it.

Let's be reasonable. Here's the Question. Knowing what state this truck is in, do I attempt to have these problems fixed and hang on to it or

Do I sell it nice and low, take the hit and look for something else?
Old 07-05-2009, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by 737jet
Knowing what state this truck is in, do I attempt to have these problems fixed and hang on to it or

Do I sell it nice and low, take the hit and look for something else?
you got some $$$ stuck into now, i would just fix the rest and you should be done for a while...hopefully. how many miles does it have? you can have issues with every truck, just luck of the draw...i don't blame ya for not wanting to buy another f150..

Quick Reply: Powerloss, money loss...