Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Power window problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2014, 03:43 PM
Sheep Dog

Received 327 Likes on 196 Posts

Default Power window problem

Occasionally the driver door window switch for the front passenger door on my 05 SCREW will not work. The window can still be operated from the front passenger door switch when this happens. All other windows work normally.

The other day this happened again, so I took the driver door master switch apart to clean it up. The contacts were very dirty. I cleaned them until they were shiny and then put a little dielectric grease on all the contacts to promote continuity. I reassembled the switch and put it back in the truck. Not only did the same problem with the front passenger window persist, but now NONE of the windows work.

I know power is getting to the switch, because it lights up with the headlamp switch. Also, when any of the buttons are pressed, all the door window switch lights throughout the truck go out until the switch is released. None of the windows will now work from any switch.

At this point, I figured the switch was just bad so I ordered a new one (Dorman). I installed it today and still have the exact same problems. Obviously there is a problem with the truck and not the switch.

I bought some electronics spray cleaner and sprayed the harness connections where they go into the switch. I used nearly an entire can and still none of the windows work. I removed the body harness at the A-pillar and also sprayed that liberally with electronics cleaner and still nothing....

At this point I have no idea. I'm guessing it's likely that the Body Control Module went bad? Anyone have other ideas?
Old 04-07-2014, 04:28 PM

Received 147 Likes on 125 Posts

i would check the wires coming through the door first... if you're lock switch from the passenger door was working your divers side window.
Old 04-07-2014, 05:44 PM
Sheep Dog

I popped the master switch out of the driver's door and tested with my multi-meter. I'm more confused than ever now. What's happening doesn't seem possible.

I found a wiring diagram here, and it appears to be correct with the color codes of the wires I tested:

The solid black wire is a good ground when not plugged into the switch (interestingly it doesn't show any continuity with ground when the switch is plugged in).

The Light blue wire with black stripe is battery voltage with the key turned, as it should be. This is the main power wire.

The white wire with black stripe is 0V normally, and with the driver window switch in the down position, shows battery voltage, as it should. The window, however, will not roll down.

The same thing happens for each window. Power is going through the switch, but the windows do not work.

Again, when any switch in the truck is pressed, all the switch lights go out.

So, I am getting a good ground. I am getting power through the switch when I should be, and yet none of the windows work. The switch is not defective because it is doing the exact same thing as the old switch.

It appears that every single power wire for every single window broke at the exact same time. This is impossible. There has to be something else going on here. I don't see in that diagram where the body control module is even wired to the windows, unless it's 100-3 at the top right of the diagram. Even then I don't see how that would have any control over this circuit.
Old 04-11-2014, 12:43 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had/still have thia issue with just the passenger side window. Took the door apart after changing switches and such and a plug had came undone at the bottom center of the door. But now im having this issue again. Gonna tear into it again this weekend and if it's the plug I'm taping it together this time
Old 04-11-2014, 04:31 AM
Sheep Dog

I figured out it was the main ground wire (solid black) that was bad. It tested good for ground but it wasn't. I spliced in another ground and the windows work now.
Old 04-11-2014, 10:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tearing into it tomorrow, which one is the main ground? Or is it in diagram above?
Old 04-12-2014, 02:43 AM
Sheep Dog

Originally Posted by WeRodeInTrucks
Tearing into it tomorrow, which one is the main ground? Or is it in diagram above?
It's solid black. Also shown in the diagram above.

Quick Reply: Power window problem