Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.
View Poll Results: Who does your F-150 brakes?
Yourself
85.71%
Dealer
7.14%
National Chain (Midas, Firestone, Pep Boys, etc.)
0%
Local shop
7.14%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Power Stop Brake Kit K 1950

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 11:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Power Stop Brake Kit K 1950

I just wanted to share my experience with the Power Stop (http://www.powerstop.com/) K1950 Performance Brake Upgrade Kit (K1950). I purchased it for my 2004 F-150 Lariat 4WD to replace the rear brakes. I've posed some questions at the end of this posting.

After searching online forums for advice on a brake kit, I decided to go with the Power Stop kit primarily based on price. I purchased it from a website called the Brake Guys (http://thebrakeguys.com/). I found them using Google shopping on Black Monday. They had the best price at $205.00 with free shipping. It came within a couple of days via UPS (I think it was more like 36 hours.. I'm guessing drop shipping from a nearby warehouse).

The kit included pads & performance (drilled & slotted) rotors for the rear brakes. There were no instructions or other pieces, but I had the foresight to pick-up a Haynes repair manual.

I took the kit, my manual, a can of brake cleaner, some work gloves, and a headlamp to the auto shop on my military base. Although I've done some mechanical work, this was my first brake job and I wanted some experience over my shoulder, plus they have a lift & heated garage!

The total job took me about 2 1/2 hours. It went smoothly, although removing the existing rotor required some hammering to free the rust (100,000 mi on the truck). Everything fit as well as expected. I cleaned the metal tabs that the pads rest on, but did not replace them (which the manual suggests). I also did not grease the caliper guides since I did not have grease on hand, but the boots were intact and they appeared lubricated. I may go back and do this later when I do my front brakes.

After leaving the shop, the brakes felt great. No noises, squeals, pulling, etc. Since this was my first brake job, I was expecting disaster. I did graze one lug with the hammer and had to have the mechanic introduce me to a thread chaser (I never used one before). That fixed the problem.

The whole job took me just under 3 hours and cost me $20 in lift time. Adding the $205 for the kit, that $225 for rear brakes... not bad. I'm going to order the front kit and also pick-up some caliper grease. I'm also thinking of getting some caliper paint to make my calipers "Ford blue".

My questions are:

Does anyone have an specific advice on other maintenance I should conduct? Do I need to bleed the system & change the fluid? I bought the truck at 60k. I'm thinking this is the 2nd brake job but I can't be sure.

If I bleed the system, are there any maintenance or upgrade items I may want to consider doing while I'm getting into this?

Are there any brake tips anyone has to share?

What is the value of the old rotors? Should I keep them or toss them?
Old 12-03-2011, 09:36 AM

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

There is value in scrap metal. Just having enough of it takes a lot. I would recommend bleeding the system when you do the front. Flushing the fluid wouldn't hurt either.
Old 12-03-2011, 12:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There's a break in procedure you should do, but it escapes me at this time. If you look up EBC brakes I think they have it on their site if you look hard enough.
As for the scrap steel, it's worth $8 a metric ton up here in Canada, I can't imagine it's any more in the states. Most scrap yards will take small bits off your hands for free though. Copper, brass and stainless are where the money's at.

Quick Reply: Power Stop Brake Kit K 1950