Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Power Steering Removal Problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2012, 12:27 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Power Steering Removal Problem

Hi everyone..I am in the middle of doing a timing chain(x2) followers, tensioners and cam phaser change. I have run into a problem and wonder if anyone else has any ideas. My f150 is a 2004 Ford Lariat, 4x4, 5.4 motor. I have tried everything to get the power steering pump off. All the bolts are rusted. The top two won't move and I cannot get at the bottom one. I have tried a pulley removal tool, but twisted the inside insert off. The pulley is really stuck on!!! I am thinking one of two things. Should I try to cut the heads of the bolts, slide the pump off and remove the remaining studs or do I have to yank the motor out to get at everything.
I have been at this for three/four days and and this is the only thing holding me up.
Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance..Spike24
The following users liked this post:
C F-150 (09-21-2022)
Old 11-08-2012, 01:11 PM

Received 142 Likes on 129 Posts

Hey Spike, Have you tried any type of penetrating oil? Breaker bar? I seem to have alot of luck with bolts by spraying them down with a product called Kroil. The navy uses it for stuff that has been corroded with seawater. Look for it online. Might be a little pricey, but might better and less time consuming. make sure to let it soak for a few hours, if not overnight, Even after a few hours, I would check to see if you couldnt get the bolt to budge. Always use a 12 point socket, unless you can get an impact socket on there.

Good luck with it. Let us know how it turns out. Success stories are always good.
Old 11-08-2012, 01:19 PM

Default Will do!!

Hi Al..thanks for the input. I have blasted the crap out of it with PB Blaster. If this doesn't work, then I will try and obtain some Kroil. I am pretty desperate now. I am going to let it soak over night and get back at it tomorrow. I'll keep updating..
Thanks again for the suggestion...Cheers Spike
Old 11-08-2012, 02:44 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

When I changed my powersteering pump I ended up twisting the end off of the adapter screw, so I welded it up, broke it again, welded it up a third time major overkill like and it finally came. I know it sounds silly, but you might have to buy/borrow a more high-dollar professional grade pulley puller. I know the Napa/Ultra-Pro one I have isn't that **** hot. I used a long handled ratchet for that, just keep at it, you'll get it.

If you have to, and things get really serious it wouldn't hurt to try and throw a little heat at that pulley. Use a little propane torch and be careful not to burn anything or start a fire. I wouldn't bring it up to any higher than serious operating temperature or a little hotter. The object is to get the pulley to expand enough to loosen up on the shaft, not burn it off. Too much temperature and you could ruin the powersteering pump, or scarier, start a fire if there is any standing oil or powersteering fluid. That's a judgement/comfort call for you. I used to take old junk apart with heat in some pretty dangerous conditions (dangerous in regards to damaging equipment/hoses etc.), and have used it in very inappropriate places in the past and I have to say it usually works but I used to do it for a living so yeah...

The bolts are another game. They're a pain in the *** to get at. I used a swivel head ratcheting wrench with another wrench sniping it, my GearWrench brand wrenches stood up to it for one of the bolts and I used a ratchet/socket on the other one. The ratchet had a swivel head on it as well.

I'll also give my endorsement to Kroil/Aerokroil. I'm a journeyman Millwright, and if I had a nickel for every time that stuff bailed me out I'd be a wealthy dude. I'm currently a water plant operator in a shale gas field, we deal with a lot of "produced" and "flowback" water that comes back out of the ground after a frac operation, and the water has a very high salt content, so needless to say it turns everything it touches into a rusted/welded state. Aerokroil can be the difference.

They don't sell aerokroil in the box stores or hardware stores. You'll have to go to an industrial supply store.

good luck! and remember! 6 point sockets if you can help it!
Old 11-08-2012, 05:56 PM

Default Will Try

Hey thanks..think I will get me some of that Kroil..thanks for the advice...tomorrow is another day!!!...if I can just get the neighbor's tree to fall over ...hummm
Old 11-10-2012, 10:02 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Did you get it?
Old 11-10-2012, 10:23 AM
Mark

Received 2,417 Likes on 2,118 Posts

Originally Posted by alsatropine
Hey Spike, Have you tried any type of penetrating oil? Breaker bar? I seem to have alot of luck with bolts by spraying them down with a product called Kroil. The navy uses it for stuff that has been corroded with seawater. Look for it online. Might be a little pricey, but might better and less time consuming. make sure to let it soak for a few hours, if not overnight, Even after a few hours, I would check to see if you couldnt get the bolt to budge. Always use a 12 point socket, unless you can get an impact socket on there.

Good luck with it. Let us know how it turns out. Success stories are always good.
You mean a 6 point socket !! a 12 point will round your bolt head allot easier.
mawalley (12-25-2012)
Old 11-10-2012, 05:19 PM

Default Still working on it

Hey guys..sorry I haven't had time to work on it this weekend yet too busy with kids hockey etc...I plan on attacking it tomorrow morning..I'll let you know haow I make out..thanks....Spike
Old 11-10-2012, 06:21 PM

Received 521 Likes on 293 Posts

I can tell you that you're wasting your time if you try to remove the bolts without removing the pulley first.
Old 11-12-2012, 05:10 PM

Default Gott It!!!!!!!! but a little problem...

Hello all...well as the man said you need a pulley puller to access the three bolts on the power steering pump...especially when the bolts are rusted as mine were. The two top ones were torqued heavily and both snapped off....the bottom one required me to undo the power steering hose and access it with a 6 point 1/4 socket...it too was rusted but did not break....I got everything off but had to hammer the crap out of the top of the steering pump...I not gonna fool around I am going to replace it with a new one and new bolts....I used the pulley puller sold at Auto Zone...worked great....
My advice is that if your truck is old, 2004, like mine and you live where they use salt in the winter, take my experience as an example and buy the pulley puller and disconnect the line to get the bottom bolt......I hope this will help someone in the future.....thanks everyone for their advice and suggestions....much appreciated.....
And one more thing...the bottom bolt receiving threads on the timing cover was cracked...I suspect from the factory, I had to use a ton of force to get it to crack loose.......Cheers Spike
C F-150 (09-21-2022)

Quick Reply: Power Steering Removal Problem