Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Power Steering Pump - How to?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2015, 03:38 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Power Steering Pump - How to?

Have a '08 SuperCrew with the 5.4L n AC, 4WD.

The power steering cooler line split in the winter, so drove it for a few mins without any fluid. Then got some fluid in there and limped it home. Shop put the replacement lines next day...(too cold for me to work outside in december)

Anyways...im sure the bearing or pump got scuffed, when its super cold, it whines....it seems to make enough pressure, but its leaking somewhere when its superhot outside..

I want to be proactive and do it now, vs winter in case its on its way out.

1. How hard is it to replace this pump ? They'r cheap enough.
2. Do I have to remove any lines? or does the pump pull out ?
3. Anyone have pictures of a how-to ?
4. Do I need a puller?
5. My high pressure line fittings have a lot of rust around them.

I'm pretty handy, but never replaced power steering pump before...
Old 07-30-2015, 07:25 PM

Received 264 Likes on 214 Posts

I don't have a How-To but have taken mine off to do the timing chains before. You do need a puller for the pulley, I used 2 different types of pullers and could not get my pulley off, if I need to ever change the pump, I will put a new pulley on. At least one of the hoses has a threaded end, I would remove the hoses first if you can get a wrench on them or disconnect them at the other end. There are 3 bolts that hold the pump to the engine, they are a pain, loosen the top 2 gradually, then get under the bumper of the truck and reach in and start loosening the bottom. Short turns on both top and bottom, ratchet 10mm wrench will help some but not much. After loosening the bottom some, you will have to start pulling the pump away from the body of the engine to get more room for the bottom bolt to come out. Loosen top more, then bottom, etc. It takes me about 30 minutes on the bolts because you have to get up and down a few times and the turning room isn't the best. Good luck, not a hard job. When finished, add fluid, jack both tires off the ground, start truck, turn the steering wheel all the way both directions a few times to bleed the air out.
Tom
Old 07-31-2015, 08:25 AM

Received 434 Likes on 289 Posts

There is a specific puller for those pulleys, Advance Auto or any parts store with a tool loaner program should have one.

(Specific pullet? must be a bitch looking for that one chicken in the flock....)

^ I just can't type this morning. Need more coffee.
Old 07-31-2015, 12:16 PM
Some guy

Received 2,025 Likes on 1,286 Posts

Good luck with that pulley. Mine would not come off no matter what. I ended up replacing the pump with an AC Delco unit that came with the pulley already on it.

Putting it on isn't too tough... but you'll want to give yourself a full weekend just in case. Pull off the normal things (shroud, fan, belt). Drain the PS fluid reservoir, remove the hoses, PS fluid reservoir and bracket. Pull off the three mounting bolts on the right side of the pump. They are long and could take a while depending on your tools. Get your new pump, prime it with some new fluid, mount it back in the same spot, reattach your hoses, fill the reservoir, cycle the wheel (off the ground) from stop to stop with the reservoir cap off to squish out any air.
Old 07-31-2015, 12:18 PM
Some guy

Also: Taking the pulley off is NOT necessary to get the pump off, so don't worry about that being an issue if you get a pump when you go to change it out.

You'll need a new Teflon washer for the high pressure line that attaches to the bottom of the pump. Be careful; they break easily. You'll need to gently bend it with your fingers and stretch it a minute amount to slip it over the high pressure hose's nipple. Then you can put the hose back onto the pump (with the pulley still on, it takes a while, but I did it).
Old 07-31-2015, 12:36 PM

I'd just buy one with a pulley on it.

My concern is the bolts that hold the pump to the bracket...the heads are pretty rusty. Im afraid that i might strip the heads...
Old 07-31-2015, 01:21 PM
Some guy

You probably won't. They're strong. Just make sure your wrench or socket is the proper size, and preferably used the closed end of the wrench for more contact. Hit the heads with PB plaster and a wire brush to clean them off and get the tools to fit right.
Old 07-31-2015, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by LaMartian
You probably won't. They're strong. Just make sure your wrench or socket is the proper size, and preferably used the closed end of the wrench for more contact. Hit the heads with PB plaster and a wire brush to clean them off and get the tools to fit right.
yup, I plan to do that. Thanks for the encouragement !

I've been hitting the bolts with krown rust control every so often, so I will give the heads a wire wheel job and make sure the socket fits in well.
Old 07-31-2015, 09:45 PM

Received 264 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by gone postal
There is a specific puller for those pulleys, Advance Auto or any parts store with a tool loaner program should have one.

(Specific pullet? must be a bitch looking for that one chicken in the flock....)

^ I just can't type this morning. Need more coffee.
Yea, the specific puller would not work, neither would a more heavy duty one of the same design, pulley seemed like it was welded on. If I ever need to change it, it will be a new pump and pulley for me. OP, not a hard job, just follow the advice with bleeding the air out and you will be fine. Good luck

Tom

Quick Reply: Power Steering Pump - How to?