Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Power steering problem, leveling kit

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 05:23 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Power steering problem, leveling kit

I have an 08 f150 fx4 that I had leveled about 6 months ago with a readylift spacer...stock tires. Now my power steering pump is having issues.

At speed there is no problem. When stopped I can't turn the tires and the power steering pump is LOUD. If I rev the engine when stopped I can turn the wheels easily but their is still a loud whine.

Topped up power steering fluid and no change

So tomorrow morning I'm going to be taking my truck in to the ford dealer to have it looked at. Should I be prepared for them to say that the power steering pump isn't covered by warranty because of the leveling kit. I could see them being justified if they did.

Guess it serves me right for putting a leveling kit on a lease...got 3 months left on the lease. I'm gonna be buying it out when its done anyway.
Old 09-28-2010, 10:10 PM
poopin.....on this thread

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

hmmm all the lease deals i have heard of stated that no modifications other than regular maintenance. So i would guess it broke your lease agreement. if i were you id spend the night taking the kit out if you havent already told them its there! lol but anyways i hope it works out.
Old 09-29-2010, 03:36 AM
Meaner than Ymeski

Received 819 Likes on 468 Posts

Originally Posted by Dynamic
I have an 08 f150 fx4 that I had leveled about 6 months ago with a readylift spacer...stock tires. Now my power steering pump is having issues.

At speed there is no problem. When stopped I can't turn the tires and the power steering pump is LOUD. If I rev the engine when stopped I can turn the wheels easily but their is still a loud whine.

Topped up power steering fluid and no change

So tomorrow morning I'm going to be taking my truck in to the ford dealer to have it looked at. Should I be prepared for them to say that the power steering pump isn't covered by warranty because of the leveling kit. I could see them being justified if they did.

Guess it serves me right for putting a leveling kit on a lease...got 3 months left on the lease. I'm gonna be buying it out when its done anyway.
my power steering pump and rack and pinion went out with 3200 miles.... same thing... at low rpm it wouldnt turn it was quite scary when it when out i was just turnin on a windey off ramp... and it yanked the wheel out of my hand...
Old 09-29-2010, 06:17 AM
Mark

Received 2,415 Likes on 2,116 Posts

What does the power steering have to do with your leveling kit ??? They should fix it under warranty. The leveling kit didn't make your power steering break.
Old 09-29-2010, 06:37 AM
Meaner than Ymeski

Originally Posted by techrep
What does the power steering have to do with your leveling kit ??? They should fix it under warranty. The leveling kit didn't make your power steering break.
ya i didnt have my leveling kit when mine went out.... but i bet if a dealer sees it on there they are going to throw a schit fit about it... just becouse they look for reasons not to pay up
Old 09-29-2010, 06:45 AM
Mark

Received 2,415 Likes on 2,116 Posts

That is not a good reason...now if the lines were modified or the steering linkage was extended then I would stand by to pay.
Old 09-29-2010, 09:46 AM
poopin.....on this thread

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

Dynamic - let us know how this turns out.
Old 09-29-2010, 11:55 AM

I definitely will update everyone on how it works out.

The reason I'm nervous is because the leveling kit does modify the steering geometry. Because of this it would not be unreasonable for them to say that the change in geometry puts additional stress on the pump that caused it to fail. I'm not that nervous cause the worst that happens I figure is I pay a hundred bucks or so for a new steering pump, really not a big deal but I'd obviously rather spend the money on new toys or beers (I mean donate that money to charity).

We shall see soon enough. Expect an update later today, I'm just at work now waiting for them to call me.
Old 09-30-2010, 01:23 AM
Meaner than Ymeski

if it puts anymore stress on the pump... its very minimal... bigger tires and wheels would be a better cause.... what size tires and wheels... but that its self is not a good enough reason........ a easy way to burn up a pump is to hold it at full lock... owners man even states that
Old 09-30-2010, 01:31 PM

So got a call late in the afternoon and was happy with how fair Ford was about things.

They replaced a faulty power steering pump assembly and that corrected the problem.

They stated that the pump and labor were under warranty but it took them an extra half hour of labor because I had a big replacement bumper with custom mounts that complicated things. (I know I'm not supposed to modify the lease...but whatever, I'm gonna buy it)

I happily paid for the 30 minutes labor and was on my way. I thought it was fair. They never even mentioned the leveling kit. Came out to a total of ~$67.

Now my truck is back in top form and I am back to being a happy ford owner.

Quick Reply: Power steering problem, leveling kit