Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Power Steering Pressure Line Popped Off?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2016, 10:08 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Power Steering Pressure Line Popped Off?

So I was backing into a parking spot at dairy queen when I hit a small bump and all of a sudden I had no power steering! Drove it home (**** do those 35s give a good workout) and popped the hood. That stupid swivel fitting at the pump popped right out!

Really PO'd at this simply because this is the 3rd line to fail on me now in the past 2 months. The first was a simple crack in the hose from being old, the second leaked like a siv from the pump fitting, and now the third just popped right off!

Seems to me they should've went with a different fitting on that end of the line seeing as 2 of the 3 hoses I've had now have had an issue with that end.

Has anyone else had this happen? Seems common with the diesels but couldn't find any F150 folk with this issue.
Old 03-13-2016, 11:25 PM

Received 353 Likes on 285 Posts

No problem with mine. I repaced it once due to rusting out and leaking. The way that swivel fitting is designed its a miracle they all dont leak!
Old 03-14-2016, 01:20 PM

Replaced the hose and it just blew off again.
Seems as if theres a blockage somewhere in the lines or perhaps the rack is shot.. But it shouldnt do this?

Anyone have any input? Im pretty stumped. Heading out to check for crimped lines.
Old 03-14-2016, 02:30 PM

Its popping off at the swivel connector correct? Is it popping of randomly or at full lock only?
Old 03-14-2016, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by screamineagle
Its popping off at the swivel connector correct? Is it popping of randomly or at full lock only?
Correct, pressure line at the pump.

It only pops off when I turn the wheel. If it's just idling it wont pop off but I can hear the pump making noise due to the air in the lines. But soon as I turn the wheel I can hear the pressure build up and pop goes the line.
Old 03-14-2016, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by NamedHerOksana
Correct, pressure line at the pump. It only pops off when I turn the wheel. If it's just idling it wont pop off but I can hear the pump making noise due to the air in the lines. But soon as I turn the wheel I can hear the pressure build up and pop goes the line.
Man Im stumped on this one. I have a feeling its in the rack. I could be wrong though. One thing you can try is to pull the return line from the rack and reservoir, blow air through it to make sure its not obstructed.
Old 03-18-2016, 09:26 AM

Anybody got any ideas? I've had a little bit of time to look at it this week but spent most evenings fixing my girlfriends impala. If the truck is idling the line won't pop off, but soon as I turn the wheel it creates extreme amounts of pressure and blows off. Still haven't found this issue with any other members or on any other forums,
Old 03-18-2016, 10:01 AM

Did you inspect the return line like I mentioned in the post above?^^^
Old 03-19-2016, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by screamineagle
Did you inspect the return line like I mentioned in the post above?^^^
Return line is fine. Noticed a noise when I turn the wheel I could only describe as fluid rushing through a small area coming from the rack. Don't know if that's normal or not. Checked the reservoir for debris and noticed a small amount but nothing enough to cause this.
Old 03-19-2016, 01:55 PM

Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by NamedHerOksana
Return line is fine. Noticed a noise when I turn the wheel I could only describe as fluid rushing through a small area coming from the rack. Don't know if that's normal or not. Checked the reservoir for debris and noticed a small amount but nothing enough to cause this.
That sound could be from air being in the system.

Quick Reply: Power Steering Pressure Line Popped Off?