Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Power steering noise is driving me crazy!!

Old 06-01-2016, 10:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Power steering noise is driving me crazy!!

Hi All! I have a 2005 SCREW with a 5.4 L Triton. So I've been through the whole cam phaser issue 6 months ago and in the process of that, I changed my power steering pump and high pressure line. I thought the pump was leaking so I changed it while rebuilding the front of the motor. Well, ever since then, I have this god awful power steering groaning, grinding pump noise. Especially when I'm in a parking situation. It's hard to turn the wheel when idling and when I rev the engine to assist the pump it gets really loud and obnoxious but the wheel turns easier. The replacement was a USA remanufactured pump but I'm thinking it might be crap or did I get some air in the system that I can't get out. Did I not purge the system correctly and if not can I purge it now? I know there is some sort of drain fitting where the hose is attached to the front cross member. It's been about 4 months since the swap.

Any ideas would be appreciated!
Old 06-02-2016, 05:47 PM

Received 246 Likes on 211 Posts

Did you try to bleed the air out by turning the wheel from full lock on right side to left side about 10 times or so? I installed a new power steering pump on both my mustang and bmw and each time when finished, I started with the steering wheel in the center, turned it completely to the right to the stop, then back to the left, only holding it at the bump stops for a second. Did it about 10 times, checked the fluid level and if low, added fluid, then repeated. Noise gone after that. After a couple years though the noise did start to come back on my mustang but I really attribute that to the cheap pump from autozone. BTW, if necessary because if turning the wheel at a dead stop is really hard, you can probably jack both front wheels off the ground and still do the "turn Left then Right", it just is easier, then I would put it back on the ground and maybe do it again then check fluid level to make sure you are still good.
Old 06-02-2016, 08:21 PM

Received 61 Likes on 58 Posts

sounds like you got a bad pump or air in lines
Old 06-02-2016, 10:50 PM
SSDD

Received 1,611 Likes on 1,125 Posts

Originally Posted by grss429
sounds like you got a bad pump or air in lines
Did you use atf
Edit: reply meant for op. I'm on mobile and guess I pressed wrong reply lol

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Power steering noise is driving me crazy!!