Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

power steering noise

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 06:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default power steering noise

My 04' 5.4l f-150 has 58k miles on it. It seems lately when driven around 50 or so for a while the power steering pump starts whining. It starts gradually and increases in loudness, then when I reduce speed it seems to quiet down a little. After not running for a short I start it up drive around town and it doesn't make any noise. This has happened twice. I checked the power steering fluid and belt tension. Everything is correct. Does this sound like the pump needs rebuilding? Thoughts anyone?

Thanks;

Jake.....
Old 05-04-2009, 07:47 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

Before replacing the pump, try a power steering fluid flush. Underneath the truck, in front of the radiator, theres the power steering cooler. Place an oil pan underneath the lower line where it connects to the cooler, and drain. Make sure you are at the power steering cooler by tracing the lines back to the power steering pump, as your truck may also have a transmission cooler! Remove the power steering pump cap to help the draining. Then install fresh power steering fluid (when you start the engine, the fluid in the pump container will drop; add until you are at the "full" level).

See if the pump squeal goes away. If not, it may be the pump or the belt.

Last edited by Mod (Ret.); 05-04-2009 at 07:49 AM.

Quick Reply: power steering noise