Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

power steering leak ??

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2016, 06:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default power steering leak ??

need help,even Ford Parts couldn't help. past year, i replaced the rack & pinion,then i put a new pump in with new lines. I just noticed a small leak coming from where the lines go into the rack, checked the lines-ok,but noticed it was leaking from the bracket that holds & connects the 2 lines- hoses to the rack. it's leaking from the seam next to the only bolt that connects the lines to the rack, My ? is- when i put the new rack in,I don't remember if theres a gasket to goes between the bracket & the rack,anybody know??? Ford dosn't show anything,they said if it has one, it came with the new rack. OR, if the O ring from the high pressure line has gone bad, could that be where the leak is coming from??? It's not the lines or the rack,there solid. thanks netminderone
Old 07-01-2016, 08:52 PM

Received 353 Likes on 285 Posts

No gasket. The lines have an o-ring. The plate keeps the lines seated in place in the rack. Did you lube the o-rings before installing the new lines?
Old 07-03-2016, 04:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default update

I replaced the O ring,stopped leaking. re filled the resivour,started truck & now it's whining,but whines louder when turning the wheel. Anybody know what would cause it to whine all of a sudden???? Could it be air in the line, since i had the pressure line out??? thanks netminderone
Old 07-03-2016, 04:30 PM
Texas A&M Aggie

Received 1,344 Likes on 976 Posts

Sounds like either your pump is dying now or there's just a little air in the lines. It's a self purging system so you shouldn't have to worry about it.

Quick Reply: power steering leak ??