Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Power steering intermittent

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2013, 07:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power steering intermittent

Hi folks,

I have an '08 F150. 5.4. Over the past few days the power steering has been in and out. When starting up it is usually dead. Sometimes it comes back to a degree and a couple of days ago it returned to normal for a couple of hours then went completely dead again. We have been flooded out here and I did drive it through some running board deep water. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 05-07-2013, 07:29 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Check the universal joint in the steering shaft. It's just inside the wheel well and has a tendency to corrode and begin to seize. Feels like the steering is going out but may be the shaft. Hit it with some penetrating oil and see if it gets better.
Old 05-07-2013, 07:40 AM
American member

Received 1,058 Likes on 843 Posts

What do you see when you look at the pump? Is it whining? Fluid low? Or is it binding when you turn?
Old 05-12-2013, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by masitile
What do you see when you look at the pump? Is it whining? Fluid low? Or is it binding when you turn?
No whining, fluid level is normal and with no loss. It is now completely dead. There might be a tiny bit of power assist but generally it takes two arms to make a significant turn. I've made an appointment with the mechanic but he's busy until later in the week. So I'm pretty much hoofing it (which means staying home)
Old 05-12-2013, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by Dozer5
Check the universal joint in the steering shaft. It's just inside the wheel well and has a tendency to corrode and begin to seize. Feels like the steering is going out but may be the shaft. Hit it with some penetrating oil and see if it gets better.
Universal joints are a rusty but seems fine. I hit them with penetrating oil anyway. Steering is fundamentally dead now.

Quick Reply: Power steering intermittent