Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Power Steering Hose Fitting -- HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2015, 05:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Power Steering Hose Fitting -- HELP!

Howdy!

My 2004 power steering pump has started to leak so it's time for replacement. I have removed the old pump and have new lines to install too. However, the old lines were almost rusted through, so I elected to snap them off when removing the old lines. This was an error as the ends of the fittings are stuck in the rack-and-pinion housing (almost flush). I tried grabbing the stub of the lines with pliers, but there's little left to grab onto. Would anyone have any advice on how to remove the old ends of the lines from the rack housing?
Old 03-16-2015, 10:54 PM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Good luck with that one. I just finished replacing the high pressure power steering line from the rack to the pump because it was leaking. I also bought the return, rack to cooler, line and figured I'd replace that at the same time. The high pressure line came out fairly easy because it has the bracket attached to it to pry on but I could not get the low pressure line off no matter how hard I tried. I got to the point where I was afraid I would break it or that I had already damaged it enough to leak. I eventually gave up and left it in and so far no leaks. I retained the new part to try another day when I can afford to have the truck down for a day or two maybe.

I pulled hard and banged on that line, and also over 3 days sprayed it with PB Blaster, Deep Creep, and Liquid wrench and even tried a little heat it would not budge so I cant imagine trying to grip what little is left with pliers will be enough force to pull it out.

I am waiting to come up with some ingenious way to get it out and replace it as there is fairly easy access but so far I am drawing a blank, was thinking about attaching a clamp or something to pry against. I was considering cutting it off and finding a drill bit just a fraction of a size smaller (use the new line largest diameter as a guide) and trying to drill it out carefully, maybe even a left handed bit, but I decided not to chance it. I think if I was in your situation that is what I would try, that or an extractor bit just the right size. If you look at your new part compared to the one in there you will see that the largest part of the end fits inside the rack up flush against the flange so it is rusted in place on all side and the front of that flange/lip.
The following users liked this post:
dspman (03-17-2015)
Old 03-16-2015, 11:00 PM

Oops double post

Last edited by CountyMounty; 03-16-2015 at 11:01 PM. Reason: Double Post
Old 03-16-2015, 11:10 PM

Received 267 Likes on 196 Posts

In my own opinion I would take a small punch or flathead screwdriver and try to colapse the line in on itself and then try and get enough to grab and pull out. Whats the worst that can happened, its already messed up.
dspman (03-17-2015)
Old 03-17-2015, 08:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After the prognosis of CountyMounty's input, I decided to try using an extractor. This was promising at first but the Vise Grips started to spin and rounded the edges of the extractor. I gave up in futility and removed the rack. This approach was easier than spending countless hours trying to work in the confines of engine compartment, albeit I was not planning on doing this.

When I managed to remove the ends, it took spinning the ends lose with an extractor and tapping on the extractor in all four directions. This would have never broken free while working under the hood.

As a future word of advice to others attempting the changing of hoses -Don't break the hoses off flush!
Old 03-17-2015, 11:48 PM

Well I actually had a full day to myself tomorrow and was thinking about attacking that line again and was waiting to here how you made out. I was going to try cutting it (though not quite flush like that) and then try some things from there. After hearing your outcome I dont think I will attempt it. I will leave it as it is until either that line starts leaking so I NEED to replace it or I see where someone else had great luck doing something else to get it out I will just put the part away somewhere (and probably forget where when I need it). I am surprised that there isn't some sort of specialty tool (or homemade tool) that someone has come up with to pull them out. I'm not so sure about the punch approach collapsing the line because the rack itself seemed to be a fairly soft metal it marred it up quick a bit when I put the flat blade of a screwdriver on the line and pounded on it.
Old 11-20-2017, 09:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Way to pull broken high pressure steering line from rail.

I too had a High pressure steering line broken at the Rail which soon became broken flush at the rail. oh crap now what do I do? so I came to this forum for help but then quickly realized that I was not alone and no easy answers available. My oldest son gave me the idea of trying to use a slide hammer to pull it out. ButI did not have A large enough screw for the slide hammer to do the job. So I tapped it to 5/16 and ran a bolt in there attached to the slide hammer but it did not work. Now what? Woke up at 2 AM with an idea. Says the line was already threaded to 5/16, I decided to try to make my own pullerusing a 5/16 bolt, heavy duty washer and nut and socket. socket has to be big and large enough to allow passage for Line to come out. The first picture shows the prices I used. The second shows it pulled out.
Mark Cameron (11-21-2017)
Old 11-21-2017, 06:28 AM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Thats a great idea. I will order my pipes now
Old 11-21-2017, 06:19 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's a good idea, but I'd be concerned with FOD intrusion into the rack.

My lines were rusted and leaking very badly too.

I too just did this, but like most, my high pressure came right out with the retaining plate while the low pressure line remained. It was stuck good. I grabbed my long 1/2" extension and tapped it from the top and driver side wheel well. It came loose and pulled right out.

Quick Reply: Power Steering Hose Fitting -- HELP!