Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Power Steering Help Please

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2013, 08:37 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Power Steering Help Please

so my wife has been driving the truck last couple days since the brakes were done. no problems. but today on way to drop our son off at day care she called me at work and said the steering was wining alot and tightening up on turning. while on phone she said oh never mind it went back to normal. well by the time she got to day care house she said it was extremely hard to turn, and could barely do it. she is having to leave the truck at day care because she cant really turn wheel.

i know its early without seeing it but.........im trying to get as much info as possible as i really needed this truck for use tomorrow so im going to attempt fix tonight.

she said there is fluid dripping under the truck clearly. so after some searching around google and site it seems that its more likely this was one of the hoses? and not the pump?

not sure about this.......she also mentioned the ebrake light started blinking while this was going on, then stayed on solid. not sure if this has something to do with this or not. brakes she said working perfectly since i replaced calipers/rotors/pads last weekend. also bled lines. been working great all week.
Old 08-30-2013, 10:39 AM

Received 142 Likes on 129 Posts

You have a major leak man. More than likely its a hose and all your fluid is gone, supporting the ebrake light blinking.
Old 08-30-2013, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by alsatropine
You have a major leak man. More than likely its a hose and all your fluid is gone, supporting the ebrake light blinking.
Brakes work fine though. Deff steering fluid leak. In route now to see truck
Old 08-30-2013, 11:05 AM

Received 142 Likes on 129 Posts

I believe the ebrake blinks also when your PS fluid is low also.
Old 08-30-2013, 11:08 AM

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Sounds to me like you lost a power steering pump, gear box, or a hose. As far as the parking brake light goes, power steering won't activate that light so if your brake fluid level is good in the master cylinder, check connections at the master cylinder for the fluid level switch as well as the switch for the parking brake, or one if the switches are faulty, coincidental for that light to come on too.
Old 08-31-2013, 08:45 PM

Ended up being leak on passenger side steering rack. The line was bad right where it screwed in. Great!! Wish it had been just a hose. Had to get it towed home
Old 09-23-2013, 02:24 PM

Can I replace power steering fluid with prestone power steering fluid instead of using the mercon trans fluid?

Quick Reply: Power Steering Help Please