Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Power Steering Fluid - Should I replace?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2015, 01:16 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Power Steering Fluid - Should I replace?

Hello Everyone,

I've got an 07' F-150 with 140k miles on it. I have a question about whether or not you think I should flush/replace the fluid. Every now and again my power steering will make a whining noise. I haven't pinpointed exact circumstances, because it's not constant. This lead me to check the power steering fluid, as most people recommend changing this when it's whining. I don't have any records of it being replaced (I got the truck used 4 months ago), but I pulled some fluid out of the reservoir and it looked to be immaculate.

From the videos and such that I've seen when the fluid is being replaced, it's always dark and sludgy, but the fluid I pulled out from the reservoir was bright red and clear. As shown in the attached picture. Does this mean that the fluid in the rest of the system is clean too?

Outside of the whining, the steering seems to work just fine. Just the occasional whine. But I'm also being OCD about the fluids in general because I wanna effectively start the service records on this truck as fresh as I can.

So, should I change the fluid? Or leave it alone?

Thanks guys!
Attached Thumbnails Power Steering Fluid - Should I replace?-img_0993-1-.jpg  
Old 09-25-2015, 01:17 PM
Some guy

Received 2,022 Likes on 1,284 Posts

Does the fluid churn when the engine is running? If so, the rest of the fluid does look like that because it's in constant circulation (moreso when you move the wheel).

Should you flush it? Well, you have a whine and that's a cheap step to take, couldn't hurt, so, sure. Make sure you use ATF.
Old 09-25-2015, 01:23 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by LaMartian
Does the fluid churn when the engine is running? If so, the rest of the fluid does look like that because it's in constant circulation (moreso when you move the wheel).

Should you flush it? Well, you have a whine and that's a cheap step to take, couldn't hurt, so, sure. Make sure you use ATF.
Yes, the fluid churns and circulates just fine as the engine is running and the fluid is topped off. I think ultimately my dilema is whether or not I want to change the fluid now or in a couple of months. As I plan on taking a big weekend when the weather cools down and do a big project day on the truck.
Old 09-25-2015, 01:30 PM
Some guy

Well, if you want a "What I would do..." I'd bite the bullet and just do it. It's not hard. The hardest part is just getting the stuff off to get to the lines with good clearance. The rest is fairly easy, especially if you have a buddy.
The following users liked this post:
Hootsworth (09-25-2015)
Old 09-25-2015, 03:33 PM

Received 89 Likes on 68 Posts

Your fluid actually looks pretty good. However, it's less than 2 quarts of Mercon, so why not replace? I wouldn't flush it, I'd just empty the resevoir with a turkey baster or pump. That gets the vast majority out, all that's left is a little in the lines and a small amount in the steering gear.

Get the autoparts store house brand fluid and swap er out.

Also, just a guy feeling, it's probably your PS pump. Start soaking the bolts in pb blaster now.
Old 09-28-2015, 07:27 AM
Some guy

Originally Posted by dyeguy1212
Also, just a guy feeling, it's probably your PS pump. Start soaking the bolts in pb blaster now.
If you haven't tried AeroKroil or SiliKroil, you will not be disappointed
Old 03-12-2018, 08:45 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, it's finally time to take this beaut to the big auto junkyard in the sky... Got her inspected for 3/19 and she just started acting up again. Rough idle, bad acceleration, bad top speed... So I changed out all the vacuum lines bc I noticed a couple were cracked and I think I made it worse somehow. She barely holds an idle now. I've changed damn near everything on this truck within the past 4 years and honestly had fun doing it and learning about these trucks but since it's my main driver and I don't have the time/space to keep an extra truck around, I'll be selling her to some motivated individual. I will still be working on her to hopefully get her running so I can at least sell her for a decent price, but I can't keep working on her every weekend as my main driver. Forward to anyone you think might want to purchase. All the fixes are updated in this thread so no one should have any questions. Thanks-
Old 02-05-2023, 02:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Martian

there are 2 little o rings in the pressure hose on there a black and Awhite one..that white one is the most crusual one change them and its a bitch and it will stop.. O'Reilly's has just the O Rings.i replaced the line and they came with it.

Quick Reply: Power Steering Fluid - Should I replace?