Go Back   Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans > Late Model F150s > 2004 - 2008 Ford F150
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Old 06-04-2014, 08:02 PM   #1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Power Sliding Rear Window Frame

2005 Screw

The tab on the lower frame, where the cable attaches, for the power sliding rear window broke on my truck. Because off this, the window does not operate and I have to use duct tape to keep it closed. It's there a way I can replace just that lower part of the frame, if so, how do I remove that single frame? Or am I screwed and have to replace the whole rear window?
DualXhst289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 08:45 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DualXhst289 View Post
2005 Screw The tab on the lower frame, where the cable attaches, for the power sliding rear window broke on my truck. Because off this, the window does not operate and I have to use duct tape to keep it closed. It's there a way I can replace just that lower part of the frame, if so, how do I remove that single frame? Or am I screwed and have to replace the whole rear window?
Hello DualXhst289

I'm a certified automotive glass technician for SafeLite, and I can answer this question for you. We do not replace the sliding insert of an electric slider, whether the mechanical linkage has failed or if the glass shatters. The entire rear glass would have to be replaced. This is due to how the framing of the window is built rendering a sectional replacement useless. I can tell you from experience, that the removal process for this window is not fun, and for as far as safety measures go, this isn't something you should tackle yourself. And no, I'm not here trying to make business for the corporation, but make sure you take it to someone reputable. And if I were you, I'd spend the extra money on an OEM Carlite glass product. They always fit right the first time. I've seen way too many aftermarket rear sliders that fit like crap and end up being warranty issues for us. I hope this helps.
JByrd825 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JByrd825 For This Useful Post:
DualXhst289 (06-04-2014)
Old 06-04-2014, 09:38 PM   #3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by DualXhst289 View Post
2005 Screw The tab on the lower frame, where the cable attaches, for the power sliding rear window broke on my truck. Because off this, the window does not operate and I have to use duct tape to keep it closed. It's there a way I can replace just that lower part of the frame, if so, how do I remove that single frame? Or am I screwed and have to replace the whole rear window?
There are some replacement parts (not sure what you need)available from ford, and you can actually buy the whole replacement window from ford (about $325) and install yourself in about 2hours.
2007 F150 XLT SCab - Dark Blue Pearl with Silver rockers - Mods: Added Auto Dim Mirror, Tailgate Locking with Remote, Chrome Handle and Tailgate Covers, Chrome Fender Trim, Chrome Gas Door, Extang Trifecta Tonneau, Blacked Out Front Badge, 20% Tinted Front Windows, Amp and Two 10" Subs, Smoked Tailights and Third Brake Light, Color Matched Headlights, Magnaflow Exhaust.
07_F150_XLT_SCab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 10:24 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07_F150_XLT_SCab View Post
There are some replacement parts (not sure what you need)available from ford, and you can actually buy the whole replacement window from ford (about $325) and install yourself in about 2hours.
Carlite is Ford's OEM glass brand. As far as installing it yourself, you have to use the proper adhesives and remove the glass without causing any, or as little damage to the paint as possible. You also need to make sure any scratches are primed properly to prevent rust and paint failure. I CANNOT stress this enough. If you are unsure of any procedure when it comes to automotive glass removal and installation, it is best left to the professionals.
JByrd825 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 01:28 PM   #5

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by JByrd825 View Post
Carlite is Ford's OEM glass brand. As far as installing it yourself, you have to use the proper adhesives and remove the glass without causing any, or as little damage to the paint as possible. You also need to make sure any scratches are primed properly to prevent rust and paint failure. I CANNOT stress this enough. If you are unsure of any procedure when it comes to automotive glass removal and installation, it is best left to the professionals.
Totally agree with what you've said.
2007 F150 XLT SCab - Dark Blue Pearl with Silver rockers - Mods: Added Auto Dim Mirror, Tailgate Locking with Remote, Chrome Handle and Tailgate Covers, Chrome Fender Trim, Chrome Gas Door, Extang Trifecta Tonneau, Blacked Out Front Badge, 20% Tinted Front Windows, Amp and Two 10" Subs, Smoked Tailights and Third Brake Light, Color Matched Headlights, Magnaflow Exhaust.
07_F150_XLT_SCab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 01:28 PM