Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Power Sliding Rear Window

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 01:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Power Sliding Rear Window

Does anyone know where I can buy the "Rotunda Squeak and Rattle Kit (164-R4900)?

I took my truck in twice while under warranty to fix the infamous rattle/squeak issue on the power sliding rear window. It still squeaks and rattles, and is not under warranty anymore. I found the below info, and might give it a try myself, so I can be assured that it's done correctly. Do I have to get this kit from the dealership? I can't find it online.

Yes ford did have a problem. The fix is this ford tsb, if you take it back to the dealer and show them this they should be able to fix it for you.Hope this helps FORD:2004-2007 F-150LINCOLN:2006-2007 Mark LT
This article supersedes TSB 05-24-3 to update the Service Procedure and vehicle model years.
ISSUE:

Some 2004-2007 Ford F-150 and 2006-2007 Lincoln Mark LT vehicles, equipped with a power sliding rear window, may exhibit a rattle/chatter or squeak/chirp/creak noise from the back glass while driving.
ACTION:

If the condition is a rattle or chatter noise from the rear of the cab, and usually occurs while driving over bumps refer to Procedure "A". If the condition is a squeak, chirp, or creaking noise refer to Procedure "B".
SERVICE PROCEDURE

PROCEDURE "A"

The rattle or chatter condition may be due to excessive clearance between the center sliding glass and back glass window runs. To service, apply felt tape, or similar material from the Rotunda Squeak and Rattle Kit (164-R4900), along the entire length of the upper run channel insert. This will reduce the clearance to resolve the rattle/chatter condition. Additionally, on 2004 F-150 vehicles only, replace the upper run channel prior to applying the felt tape.
  1. Remove the upper run channel by pulling down and outward from the driver's side of the vehicle (Figure 1, View A). A small pick or a pair of needle nose pliers may be helpful.
  2. Remove any grease/oil from the upper run channel insert using a shop rag or towel. Use a spray cleaner to ensure grease/oil has been thoroughly removed.
  3. Apply felt tape, or similar material from the Rotunda Squeak and Rattle Kit (164-R4900), along the entire length of the upper run channel insert. Press down firmly to ensure tape is firmly adhered to the insert. (Figure 1)
  4. Reinstall the upper run channel and open and close the center glass several times to ensure proper operation.
PROCEDURE "B"

This condition may be due to the exterior trim molding around the outside of the back glass rubbing against the paint of the vehicle.
  1. Using a plastic wedge, lift the lip of the exterior trim molding.
  2. Apply a small amount of Krytox grease (164-R4906) from the Rotunda Squeak and Rattle Kit (164-R4900) or similar long-lasting water-resistant grease, with a plastic spatula, squeegee or other tool.
  3. Check visible surfaces for any excess grease, and wipe off.
PART NUMBER: 4L3Z-15422A36-AB
PART NAME: Upper Window Run

I posted this in the hopes it might help someone else in the future, with the same problem.

C_
Old 04-11-2009, 04:43 PM
Truckin'Boatin'Bikin' Nut

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I am surprised the fix did not fix your squeek. I had the same noise in my 05 (not power) and 07 (power). It is ALL the sliders, not just power ones. I have an 08 now and so far it has been quiet. The 07 I took in for the tsb and it solved it. My buddy took his 05(power) in also and it too took care of it. I think it was the grease trick for us. I imagine you should be able to go to the dealer and request the kit, I'm sure it would not cost too much, or maybe try the grease trick yourself, it does not sound too involved. I m really glad it took care of it, it was driving (no pun) me NUTS!!!
Old 04-13-2009, 11:51 AM

It drives me INSANE as well. I suspect that the dealership didn't follow the TSB fix. When I picked it up they said they replaced the felt strips, which clearly isn't the appropriate fix. Too bad I didn't know then, what I know now.

If only I lived in the same state, I would try to hold the dealership accountable.

C_
Old 02-22-2010, 07:42 PM

Default F150 Rear Window squeak

I am the 2nd owner of a 2007 F150 Supercrew with rear power window. The window started squeaking about 2-3 months ago and was driving me crazy. I finally was able to push on the black seal around outside of window and determine where the squeaks were. The problem appears to be the black window seal rubbing against the body of the truck. I purchased Mobile 1 Synthetic grease and pried the seal back just enough to get a q-tip in there with grease. Also sealed all around the black seal like you would caulk a piece of moulding in your home. After doing this all the squeaks are gone. I dont know how permanent this will be but for I know I am happy.
Old 02-22-2010, 07:47 PM

Received 147 Likes on 78 Posts

You can use the part number lookup on tascafordparts.com

Quick Reply: Power Sliding Rear Window