Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Power door lock problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2014, 11:25 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Power door lock problems

First of all I know diagnosing problems can not be done well here. Only looking for pointers/help if you can. I recently bought a 2007 F150. I have everything working on it but this one last thing. Electrical is not my forté.The driver side power door lock does not work. I took the old actuator out and replaced it but that did not fix the problem. I tested the old actuator and it is definitely dead but there must be something else wrong(unless of course the new actuator happens to be a dud too). I'm looking for the relay. At first I thought all the locks were on the same circuit but apparently not. The driver side is separate. The best I can determine is the relay is in the Body Security Module(BSM). Seriously? Any other obvious things I can go through to determine the cause of failure? Am I wrong about the relay position or can I check/replace something easier to get at? Thanks for any input.
Old 10-04-2014, 07:40 PM

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

Just a thought, but Have you tried jiggling the boot that the wires run through that goes between your door and the door jam? The reason I ask this is I have a short in mine. My windows work when they feel like it and now my power locks on the driver side controls is doing the exact same thing. If I jiggle that boot, they immediately start working. I just haven't had the want to attempt getting them fixed. If indeed that is the problem with yours, the wires may be "broke" enough that they can't touch to make the circuit work.

Last edited by BUCKSHOT; 10-04-2014 at 07:45 PM.
Old 10-05-2014, 12:12 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BUCKSHOT
Just a thought, but Have you tried jiggling the boot that the wires run through that goes between your door and the door jam? The reason I ask this is I have a short in mine. My windows work when they feel like it and now my power locks on the driver side controls is doing the exact same thing. If I jiggle that boot, they immediately start working. I just haven't had the want to attempt getting them fixed. If indeed that is the problem with yours, the wires may be "broke" enough that they can't touch to make the circuit work.
I have not yet but if there is a weak, wearing point in the system, that might be a place to start. Will try. Thanks.
Old 10-05-2014, 04:59 PM

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by newcoyote
I have not yet but if there is a weak, wearing point in the system, that might be a place to start. Will try. Thanks.

Good luck, I hate dealing with electrical issues. Like I said, it is something to try and may give you an idea or direction to look to next. It just stands to reason, look how often you open and close that drivers side door and over time those flexing wires are going to give. Again, good luck......
Old 10-06-2014, 06:56 AM

Received 48 Likes on 46 Posts

Just pull the rubber boot back and reconnect the wires. I had that problem close to a year ago and found that one wire In my driver door had totally been separated so I stripped a good 1/2" on both sides and connected them back and wrapped with elec tape

Quick Reply: Power door lock problems