Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Possibly buying an 04-06 truck

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 10:22 PM
horsebabs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possibly buying an 04-06 truck

I need some input from everyone. I had a 2003 F150 5.4L supercrew FX4 truck. I loved this truck, then almost 2 weeks ago I was rearended at a stoplight. I was stopped and the other driver hit me at about 30 mph and I was slammed into another truck in front of me. They just totaled my truck today. I am looking into getting another F150 but maybe newer between 04-06 same as what I had. Does anybody have any cons about these trucks. Would love to hear any feedback.

Thanks.
Old 11-18-2009, 10:33 PM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

The main engine issue seems to be with the spark plugs. So if the mileage is close to 100k make sure the plugs have been changed. Another issue is with the power window motors and switches. They are problematic but there is not much you can do until they are a problem.

This is not so much a problem, but if you need good sounds you will need to upgrade if you do not get a truck with the premium sound system. The standard sound system is about equal to a system from a 1978 Oldsmobile Cutlass.

I got my '05 F150 a couple months ago and I love it. Just the radio sucks.
Old 11-18-2009, 10:50 PM
horsebabs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

good to know thank you. My 2003 had an awesome sound system and it was not an upgraded stereo.
Old 11-18-2009, 11:17 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Spark plugs, Cam phasers, and IMHO the electronic throttle (drive by wire). No need for the electronic throttle. Everything is going to that now though, I guess a cable wasn't durable enough even though it lasts almost forever. 2004-08 are Nice trucks though.

Oh, and aluminum control arms on the front. Seen one broken from hitting a curb with 2005 F150, I think this could be dangerous. Broke at the bushing point, just one of them though. New control arm needed. Didn't even mess up the tire or rim, the truck brushed it pretty hard, but no direct hit. Hell if I ever seen anything like it.
Old 11-18-2009, 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by dnlow
The main engine issue seems to be with the spark plugs. So if the mileage is close to 100k make sure the plugs have been changed. Another issue is with the power window motors and switches. They are problematic but there is not much you can do until they are a problem.

This is not so much a problem, but if you need good sounds you will need to upgrade if you do not get a truck with the premium sound system. The standard sound system is about equal to a system from a 1978 Oldsmobile Cutlass.

I got my '05 F150 a couple months ago and I love it. Just the radio sucks.
My 01 F150 had a crappy factory system in it too, upgraded to pioneer speakers (4-way) and an Eclipse head unit. Nothing expensive, but much better sound.
Old 11-19-2009, 05:32 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by JJ1983
Spark plugs, Cam phasers, and IMHO the electronic throttle (drive by wire). No need for the electronic throttle. Everything is going to that now though, I guess a cable wasn't durable enough even though it lasts almost forever. 2004-08 are Nice trucks though.
The "drive by wire" allows the PCM to better control fuel and spark delivery, based on throttle position. If they (auto manufacturers) were not using it, you're mileage whoes would be even more.

These types of issues were the same when everyone went with fuel injection. Everyone wanted the carburator back. It (carburator) is the worst unit to mix fuel and air efficiantly. At least folks have finally accepted fuel injection.
Old 11-19-2009, 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by Bucko
The "drive by wire" allows the PCM to better control fuel and spark delivery, based on throttle position. If they (auto manufacturers) were not using it, you're mileage whoes would be even more.

These types of issues were the same when everyone went with fuel injection. Everyone wanted the carburator back. It (carburator) is the worst unit to mix fuel and air efficiantly. At least folks have finally accepted fuel injection.
My truck doesn't have it, and manages just fine I will NEVER agree with "drive by wire" you can have it. THAT will keep me from buying a newer truck. I know someone who got stuck on the side of the road with a vehicle that would only idle, a young lady as a matter of fact, at night. You can keep it. Trust me, i don't mind technology, but that "drive by wire" is useless. What's wrong with a "throttle position sensor" like my truck has , remember that "old" technology some still use? My truck gets maybe a mile to the gallon less than an 04-08.
Old 11-19-2009, 08:34 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by JJ1983
My truck doesn't have it, and manages just fine I will NEVER agree with "drive by wire" you can have it. THAT will keep me from buying a newer truck. I know someone who got stuck on the side of the road with a vehicle that would only idle, a young lady as a matter of fact, at night. You can keep it. Trust me, i don't mind technology, but that "drive by wire" is useless. What's wrong with a "throttle position sensor" like my truck has , remember that "old" technology some still use? My truck gets maybe a mile to the gallon less than an 04-08.
Your opinion....I'm guessing you'll be driving that truck forever then, as the newer cars will all be drive by wire very soon.

And for the record, I too can quote folks (myself being one) that was stranded on the side of the road when my throttle cable broke, and only had an idle....
Old 11-19-2009, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by Bucko
Your opinion....I'm guessing you'll be driving that truck forever then, as the newer cars will all be drive by wire very soon.

And for the record, I too can quote folks (myself being one) that was stranded on the side of the road when my throttle cable broke, and only had an idle....
I also had a throttle cable break, and yes it did nothing but idle. $2 part, fixed in a few minutes. Drive by wire, fixed at a dealer ship after a tow. see the difference? I understand most favor things that seem "new" as far as technology, look at new cell phones, but somethings just need to stay put, like throttle cables. I am failing to see the drastic gain in a drive by wire system. And no, smartass, i will not be driving my truck forever.

The trottle cable on my 1983 Chevy pickup ONLY broke bacause I phuked up and stomped the gas pedal to hard. You act as if I don't like the newer technology, it's not that. I just do't see the big benefit of having a system like that.

You tell me it makes the truck better on fuel, why does mine get almost the same mileage as teh newer ones? I'll tell you, because the computer manages the fuel trim and spark by more than just "throttle position", which my OLD truck manages that too thru a "throttle postion sensor". I actually own a car now that has drive by wire, I hope it doesn't go bad. It's my wife's car. All of my cars had cable, only this one has drive by wire. The only cable that broke was the 83 chevy that was my first vehicle, none of teh others between me and my wife ever broke. One more big issue, the LAG of a drive by wire. I know, I own a vehicle with it.

I will not post again, I stand by what I said. Have a good day
Old 11-19-2009, 06:08 PM
PJB

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Maybe I dont have the base stereo in my '06 because I think it sounds pretty good.

I havent had an issue with the throttle system but just last week my mother's Hyundai's accelerator pedal sensor went bad and the car stopped moving. Luckily she was able to get it going again and the dealer replaced it for free.

Yeah, its a stupid system in the theory that the old way worked fine but I havent had any issues with mine.

Ive driven my truck 15k trouble free miles since I bought it in February. Its got 63k on it now.

Quick Reply: Possibly buying an 04-06 truck