Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Possible New Truck ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 02:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Possible New Truck ?'s

I am re-posting here, as I have not gotten much response from the "Introductions" forum...

I have been lurking for a while, as I have been planning to upgrade from my pre-run'd XLT Ranger to a F-150 SCREW. It finally looks like I might have found the right truck. The owner might be willing to trade for my custom Harley. I Gotta get rid of the toy as my wife and I have our first child. So I need a new truck that I can put a car seat in safely and easily. The truck I am looking at is an 2004 FX4, it's the dark gray metallic, and looks super clean in and out. It does have a rebuilt engine. It was replaced at 70k, and only has 30k on it. Should that rebuilt be a concern, or a plus? Also, he is asking 12k for it, which sounds pretty good and is comparable to the "current" value of my bike. Is there anything I should be aware of in this year and model of F-150? Any advice would be very welcomed, as would any other SCREW owners that might entertain a trade for a very clean customized 1999 Harley Davidson FXSTB Night Train, that reside in the So Cal area...
Old 04-03-2010, 02:35 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NSTYXLT
I am re-posting here, as I have not gotten much response from the "Introductions" forum...

I have been lurking for a while, as I have been planning to upgrade from my pre-run'd XLT Ranger to a F-150 SCREW. It finally looks like I might have found the right truck. The owner might be willing to trade for my custom Harley. I Gotta get rid of the toy as my wife and I have our first child. So I need a new truck that I can put a car seat in safely and easily. The truck I am looking at is an 2004 FX4, it's the dark gray metallic, and looks super clean in and out. It does have a rebuilt engine. It was replaced at 70k, and only has 30k on it. Should that rebuilt be a concern, or a plus? Also, he is asking 12k for it, which sounds pretty good and is comparable to the "current" value of my bike. Is there anything I should be aware of in this year and model of F-150? Any advice would be very welcomed, as would any other SCREW owners that might entertain a trade for a very clean customized 1999 Harley Davidson FXSTB Night Train, that reside in the So Cal area...
do you got pics of it
Old 04-03-2010, 02:37 PM

Received 147 Likes on 78 Posts

Is the engine warrantied (parts and labor)? What was wrong with the previous motor?

Personally, I'd stay away. If the engine was maintained poorly enough to deserve a replacement, how was the rest of the truck treated.
Old 04-03-2010, 02:48 PM

I will try and get pics, and yes the motor supposedly has a 100k transferable warranty. I worried about the maintenance too, but the rest of the truck is real nice. So I am trying to get more details out of the seller, I will update if I find out anything new, or if I get a chance to run by it and snap a few pics...
Old 04-03-2010, 03:03 PM
This picture scares you

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get a car fax and double check with the dmv on the vin (make sure the bad boy isn't stolen)...
Old 04-03-2010, 03:12 PM
BAMF Club

Received 103 Likes on 94 Posts

Take it to a local shop and have them do a basic check. They typically run about $100 and will tell you everything about the vehicle. If the engine still has a warrenty, make sure you get it in writing.
Old 04-03-2010, 03:15 PM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds a little sketchy to me, 70K isn't that much to be replacing and engine. I agree with the previous posters, get that thing checked out really well.
Old 04-04-2010, 03:16 PM

Thanks for the tips, and advice! Is there anything specific to the 04's that I should be aware of? And I am still waiting for this guy to get back to me on all the details, so we'll see if this continues to go forward...

Happy Easter!
Old 04-04-2010, 03:24 PM

Received 147 Likes on 78 Posts

That would depend on what top end is in the new engine. Cam Phasers were fixed with the 06 Model Year. Heads were changed on the 08 build motors to correct issues with spark plugs siezing due to carbon buildup.

Those are really the only two big dollar TSBs on these trucks.
Old 04-04-2010, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by GATORB8
That would depend on what top end is in the new engine. Cam Phasers were fixed with the 06 Model Year. Heads were changed on the 08 build motors to correct issues with spark plugs siezing due to carbon buildup.

Those are really the only two big dollar TSBs on these trucks.
Ok, I will try and find out what motor was put in it. Thanks!

Quick Reply: Possible New Truck ?'s