Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Popping & clicking noise from front end

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 01:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Popping & clicking noise from front end

05 Expedition EB
4x4
109,000 miles
Alway drive in 2WD mode

We are second owner and have owned the car since 7/11 when we purchased it with 91K miles on it.

Popping and clicking started around 96K miles. Noise is coming from the drivers side it seems. First started after allowing it to rest awhile and only when backing up out of garage on a level surface with wheels slightly turned. Just barely got the car rolling and a loud pop/click would sound. Over the last 12K miles the noise has gotten worse and it pops and clicks backing up, turning the wheels and accelerating forward. Same noise now over small bumps at lower speeds driving straight or turning. Basically hear it all the time except at high speeds.

Noise is usually one loud pop followed by lots of smaller clicks kind of like bad CV joint(s).

Self diagnosis:

Checked the vacuum lines heading to the front wheels which powers the 4x4. They are fine.

CV boots are fine and rotate with wheels turned and make no noticable noise.

No overly large amount of play in wheel when wiggled up/down. Left/right seems to have a little play but it seems normal - like steering assembly play.

Tested A4WD, 4Hi and 4Lo and issue is present under all settings (key on, motor off). 4Lo works as it should. Suspect 4Hi does too.

Watched and listened for noise as wife backed vehicle up (vehicle is in 2H). Noticed:
- CV joints did not rotate (logic says this is good)
- Loud pop noise (unidentifiable location - somewhere between front center and drivers side wheel)
- CV joints and drive shafts started spinning while backing up within first 5 feet of moving the vehicle and continued to remain on backing down the driveway and pulling back up. (Seems like hubs should be unlocked and wheels free spinning in 2H)
- Usual popping and clicking continued while pulling up driveway and backing back down repeatedly.

Jacked up front end and manually rotated tires while in 2WD mode. Hubs remained locked unless key is on and then they unlock.

Pop noise almost sounds like something is loose like a suspension component. Click noise sounds like it's in the 4x4.

What is the issue(s)? Can anyone tell me how to isolate them?

Last edited by jeepfix; 07-11-2012 at 03:06 PM.
Old 07-11-2012, 02:04 PM
Mark

Received 2,410 Likes on 2,111 Posts

change the IWE solonoid
Old 07-11-2012, 03:11 PM

I just updated/edited my original post. Please reread and let me know if you still think the IWE is the culprit?

I've read up on the IWE. I believe this to be the $80+ part and didn't want to spend that much until I knew for sure - assuming if it isn't the problem I wouldn't be able to return it. Is there a driver's and passenger's side IWE? If so, should I replace the driver's side?
Old 07-11-2012, 03:13 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jeepfix
I just updated/edited my original post. Please reread and let me know if you still think the IWE is the culprit?

I've read up on the IWE. I believe this to be the $80+ part and didn't want to spend that much until I knew for sure - assuming if it isn't the problem I wouldn't be able to return it. Is there a driver's and passenger's side IWE? If so, should I replace the driver's side?
Most of the time you can't return electronic parts. Unless you can find a place that will I would ask just to check.
Old 07-12-2012, 06:07 AM
Mark

Received 2,410 Likes on 2,111 Posts

If the system is similar to our F-150 which I'm pretty sure it is ...you have 1 IWE Solenoid mounted on the firewall with your air line connected to it. our IWE is only $40..did you try Rock auto...or auto anything ??
Old 07-13-2012, 06:39 PM

I purchased the Ford Service manual CD and was reading through it last night under the 4x4 section. They had some troubleshooting ideas, so I decided to jack it completely off the ground and test the 4x4 system with the engine running. (FYI to anybody doing this - it's extremely dangerous and you want someone in the drivers seat and someone outside doing the checking. And do it in a big open area in case it falls off the axle stands, jacks, etc.) The 4x4 settings work as they should. Everything toggles fine. I did replicate the clicking noise and it appears to be located somewhere in the hub assembly. The CV joints sounded fine. The popping noise did not occur and everything appears to be tight and in great shape. Ford will do a diagnostic for $50 and I'm just taking it there to see what they find. Will update the post after I take it there next week.

Last edited by jeepfix; 07-13-2012 at 06:44 PM.
Old 07-13-2012, 10:08 PM

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Honestly, I would check the front wheel bearings. Sounds like you have a bearing going out.
Old 07-17-2012, 09:42 PM

Just took the car to the dealer, and after a $100 diagnostic fee, they could not find what is causing the noises. They checked all the usual culprits, looked over the 4x4 system, suspension, drivetrain and fluids. They put it up on the rack and drove it. Plus, the drove it in the parking lot with someone listening but could not figure it out. I talked extensively to the tech and they felt like it was fine and safe to drive. They recommened to keep driving it and wait for the issue to get worse so it would be easier to listen for and diagnose the noise. The tech went through and tighted all the bolts just to be sure something wasn't loose. At this point, I'm just going to keep driving it like they said until the issue gets worse. Not sure what else to do.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:16 PM

Did you ever figure this out? I have an F350 that has a very similar problem. I took it to Ford 3 years ago while it was still under warranty and they couldn't find the problem. Ended up replacing the entire front end until the noise stopped. They couldn't tell me exactly what it was, but now 3 years later, the noise is back.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:26 PM
"The Good Captain"

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

^ have you checked the wheel bearings?

Last edited by captainsilva; 01-23-2013 at 08:29 PM.

Quick Reply: Popping & clicking noise from front end