Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Plug Change - Lucas Fuel Additive

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 11:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Plug Change - Lucas Fuel Additive

i'm about to do a plug change, but i've heard about the plug issue. from what i understand, the plugs break because of carbon buildup. so, i was thinking about running a few tanks of gas with Lucas Fuel Additive. This stuff is supposed to remove carbon deposits in the combustion chamber. i've got 50K on my truck and i'm really concerned about the plug change, but was wondering what your opinions were on running a few tanks worth of this stuff? I don't see how it can hurt, but do you think it will help?

also, i'm thinking about the champion 1 piece plugs because the brisks are only 20K (although i don't know how long the champions are supposed to last, it does say long life on their website).
Old 07-03-2008, 02:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anybody have an opinion?
Old 11-28-2012, 03:24 PM

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

bump because I was going to start a new thread.
Old 11-28-2012, 03:37 PM

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

It's an interesting thought, but I seriously doubt a 50K engine has built up enough carbon to create an issue. I haven't read of anybody on here having a problem with less than 75K miles.

As far as plug brand, I have found that the manufacturer spec'd parts always perform best. I'll stick with Motorcraft plugs.
Old 11-28-2012, 03:43 PM
"Lifted"

Received 223 Likes on 200 Posts

I second what WRVOND said... At 50K the build up should be next to nothing... Still doesn't mean the plugs won't break. You check your heads and your COP's to see if you were one of the lucky ones with the revised heads?
Old 11-28-2012, 03:47 PM

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

any of you guys run injector cleaner once in a while?
Old 11-28-2012, 03:53 PM

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

I'm not big on additives of any kind (other than fuel stabilizer if parked for a while).
I feel the scientists and engineers that formulate the fuels and lubricants I use know a bit more about the science than I. Plus they have all the kewl tools like centrifuges and such.
My solution is to purchase the best quality fuel or oil or grease, etc. in the first place...

Having said that - I do recognize that eventually, I'll have to pull the throttle body and clean it, or pull the brake calipers and clean them, etc. Using high quality stuff only delays the inevitable, but does delay it enough to make it a fiscally sound choice.

Last edited by wrvond; 11-28-2012 at 03:55 PM.
Old 11-28-2012, 04:37 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by wrvond
I'm not big on additives of any kind (other than fuel stabilizer if parked for a while).
I feel the scientists and engineers that formulate the fuels and lubricants I use know a bit more about the science than I. Plus they have all the kewl tools like centrifuges and such.
My solution is to purchase the best quality fuel or oil or grease, etc. in the first place...

Having said that - I do recognize that eventually, I'll have to pull the throttle body and clean it, or pull the brake calipers and clean them, etc. Using high quality stuff only delays the inevitable, but does delay it enough to make it a fiscally sound choice.

I agree with this statement. My personal opinion on additives is that they prolong and already existing issue that you may or may not be aware of....at least the ones that I'm familiar with. Start with the basics as mentioned above. Quality gas and oil along with treating your vehicle with care should make a long lasting and reliable vehicle. I know people that have broken "0" plugs @ 100K miles and I also personally know people that have broken 5-8 plugs on 60-75K mile trucks. It's the luck of the draw. Just do the research here on the forum and you will be good to go. Good luck with the plug change!
Old 11-28-2012, 05:15 PM

Received 125 Likes on 114 Posts

i did mine a 72k and i had ALOT of cabon build up. i recommend an induction service before doing the plugs.
Old 11-28-2012, 06:05 PM

Received 68 Likes on 32 Posts

I just did my plugs at 69k and also had ALOT of buildup. I ran 4 bottles of Lucas Fuel additive over a 2 month time frame. It did not seem to help the carbon buildup at all. All of my plugs had a good amount of carbon on them. I also broke 3 plugs.

Quick Reply: Plug Change - Lucas Fuel Additive