Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

please tell me the best way to fix this ford,terrible exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2013, 08:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default please tell me the best way to fix this ford,terrible exhaust

Ok, I have an 04 supercrew with the raggedy 5.4, the origional engine was babied and died at 180,000. When I replaced the enging I noticed that the caddilic converters on the passenger side were partially clogged up, kinda melted looking. So I took the converters off both sides, the new engine runs good, but the exhaust is terribly strong.If you sit still with the truck running for any amount of time it fills the cab with terrible fumes, or if you walk by the exhaust it will stink your clothes up bad,It has an engine light on also,I have read that the oxygen sensors may be leaning the engine out, I cant stand the smell anymore, please tell me the best way to fix this, ford wants about 2000 dollars for a new exhaust system.I will not spend that much on exhaust, I will get rid of it before I do. Thanks,Dane
Old 03-28-2013, 08:38 AM
jaxwireman

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Put new converters on it, the whole system is designed to work with them and unless you buy a tuner and have it put on a dyno without the cats the air/fuel ratio will never be correct. a complete exhaust is about $800.00 from the manifolds back. At least in north florida. Fumes inside are probably from missing trim clips letting them in the truck, really shouldnt be getting fumes in the truck.
Old 03-28-2013, 09:38 AM
all hail the blue oval

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If your converters looked melted it could be that you have raw fuel getting into your exhaust and burning inside the cats. May need to check for leaking injectors or a bad reading from the MAF. This could explain the bad smell. sglover is correct, you will have to have cats on this thing for the light to go out and for the fuel mix to be correct. Can't remove the cats and straight pipe them anymore.
Old 03-28-2013, 01:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What size pipe or converters do I need to get,and from where,or do i need to get the Ford exhaust,I may have to try to get a number to the place in north fl, I am in south Ga, the Fumes only get in the truck with the A/C on or when windows are down, but the exhaust is terribly strong, my wife complains about it all the time.I put new injectors on it when I replaced the engine.We cant even run the A/C sitting at long red lights because it will stink up our hair and clothes, and if you wait a few weeks to wash it, you can see that the bumber gets stained right behind to exhaust pipe.Thanks for the replies
Old 03-28-2013, 05:33 PM

Received 665 Likes on 517 Posts

You need cats.
Old 03-28-2013, 06:14 PM
Texas A&M Aggie

Received 1,344 Likes on 976 Posts

I'd take it to a small exhaust shop and get a full dual system. The little shops are more likely to do it cheap and good. I just got my tips changed out to stainless steel. Cost me $64 total. Small business is the way to go.
Old 03-28-2013, 06:40 PM
'08f150stx

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Dane, I would get the new exhaust put on and then have a mechanic put your truck on a tester to read the exhaust gases, just to be safe and you don't have more convertor issues.

Quick Reply: please tell me the best way to fix this ford,terrible exhaust