Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Please help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2010, 12:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help!!!

Hi. I'm new to this forum. I have been put to the task to find out the best air filter for my husband's 2007 F150 FX4 Flex Fuel Truck. We have had the truck for about a month and he is trying to increase the preformance/mileage if possible. He installed an K and N air filter (I think he replaced just a regular air filter) about a week ago but is concerned that the engine is not calibrated for the increased air flow (??). Says it is running a little louder and no changes to preformance - got concerned he may be doing damage and removed it. I have been looking into air filters and have come across the amsoil air filter as well. Which is better? Is it ok to have the K and N filter in his flex fuel truck? Any suggestions for things that could be altered?
Thank you for your help!!
From ignorant wife --> as far as vehilcles go
Old 08-14-2010, 01:06 PM

Received 147 Likes on 78 Posts

The K&N is fine, but you won't be able to actually feel the performance increase from it.

Get him a tuner, by far the best bang for your buck.
Old 08-14-2010, 01:15 PM
Mustang Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You won't increase performance or mileage with an air filter alone other than to return to the truck's stock mileage and performance capabilities (and that's only if the old filter is fairly dirty). What you want is a tuner, but if he's doing this to save money on gas, it will likely take a long time to recoup the cost of the tuner in gas savings.
Old 08-14-2010, 03:58 PM

SCT Tuners have an 'Economy' tune on them for better economy, and are able to switch between that and 'Performance' at his will. I don't have any experience with the Edge/Gryphon's, so don't know if they're the same.

He can put his K&N air filter back in, it's not going to hurt anything. If he did get a K&N Intake though, then his truck *might* run a little lean, and he'll need a tune or it could damage it. Air filter only, no concerns.

Another way to get some gas mileage if he's willing to spend the money, E-Fans. Get's rid of the big stock clutch fan sucking power from the crank. Will free up about 15hp, and less load on the engine = better mileage.
Old 08-22-2010, 05:52 PM

i would get a cold air intake with a kandn on the end i got a cheap one off e bay and put a k and n on and i love it
Originally Posted by kllybrgn
Hi. I'm new to this forum. I have been put to the task to find out the best air filter for my husband's 2007 F150 FX4 Flex Fuel Truck. We have had the truck for about a month and he is trying to increase the preformance/mileage if possible. He installed an K and N air filter (I think he replaced just a regular air filter) about a week ago but is concerned that the engine is not calibrated for the increased air flow (??). Says it is running a little louder and no changes to preformance - got concerned he may be doing damage and removed it. I have been looking into air filters and have come across the amsoil air filter as well. Which is better? Is it ok to have the K and N filter in his flex fuel truck? Any suggestions for things that could be altered?
Thank you for your help!!
From ignorant wife --> as far as vehilcles go
Old 08-22-2010, 10:22 PM
12 Second Truck

Received 131 Likes on 106 Posts

The K&N replacement filter will not harm the truck in anyway. There great for improved air flow and they only need to be cleaned every 50,000 miles. Enjoy it.
Old 08-22-2010, 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by spec_ops57
He can put his K&N air filter back in, it's not going to hurt anything. If he did get a K&N Intake though, then his truck *might* run a little lean, and he'll need a tune or it could damage it. Air filter only, no concerns.
I don't see how a free flowing air filter can cause the vehicle to run lean. Isn't that what all those fancy sensors are for? To calculate exactly how much air is coming in, what the engine load is, and then determine how much fuel needs to go.
Old 08-23-2010, 01:23 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FX4_Envy
I don't see how a free flowing air filter can cause the vehicle to run lean. Isn't that what all those fancy sensors are for? To calculate exactly how much air is coming in, what the engine load is, and then determine how much fuel needs to go.
Probably not quite that simple. Do a search and you've got quite a bit of reading to do.
Old 08-23-2010, 06:57 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

Better air flow (such as the K&N filter), a tuner, and exhaust system. The three best mods.

Your hubby can re-install the K&N now though without the tuner and exhaust. No worries. As GATORB8 stated, buy him a tuner. Then he can go with an exhaust system with no worries of running lean (fuel mixture).

And let your husband know he can post here too. We are pleased to have all members post and ask questions!
Old 08-23-2010, 08:16 AM
big cube 426

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

and dont let your hubby tell you he cant do it.. we all know football season has started.