Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Planning out a rescue truck

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2014, 02:20 PM

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Default Planning out a rescue truck

So I've decided I want to turn my truck into something akin to a rescue truck. The only problem is I have a laundry list of capabilities I need it to have, and no idea how to give my truck those capabilities in the best manner.

Thus I defer to the wisdom of you fine folks on this forum to help me decide which parts I need to make my truck what I want it to be.

The truck must be:

Capable
I want this truck to be able to go pretty much anywhere realistic. Through a small creek, up steep mountains (50% grade), over large rocks if necessary (not a rock crawler), with some of the characteristics of a baja truck (capable of moving quickly across desert and other relatively flat off-road terrain) without tearing itself apart, and still not get stuck in deep snow or on ice.

Some protection for the truck would be nice, some heavy duty skid plates and other under-carriage protection as well as possibly spraying the under side of the truck with some kind of sealant to protect against rust etc would be good.

Yes I realize this is like asking for the holy grail of trucks, but it would be nice to get close to this.

Helpful
I'd like my truck to carry tools for road-side assistance and other assistances other motorists might need. I'd like to be able to discretely carry about ten gallons of gas at any given time if possible. I'd also like a way to carry some small ramps, some salt and sand mixture, a floor jack, some basic tools for automotive repairs etc.

Id also like to carry some survival equipment like a small tent possibly, with a camping stove and cooking fuel as well as a lantern, things you might need if stranded and not able to get out and you have to spend the night somewhere.

It will also need a two hitch, a good tow rope for pulling people out, and a good winch. Any other tools that would be handy when rescuing cars should be included on this list, so if you have any ideas, shout out.

I'd like to find a way to store all of this (not including anything attached to the truck) in my truck in the front of the bed next to the cab without it being any deeper into the length of the bed than a standard bed box.

Powerful
No truck is going to get very far without a reasonable amount of power. Perhaps a 4v swap on the stock 5.4l V8 and some performance mods. Not really sure what the best options for this part are, so I'm open to suggestions. The end goal would be about 500 at the wheels with a good amount of torque.

Comfortable
The inside of the truck needs to be a haven. A system for immediate heat when the truck is started without having to wait on the engine block to get warm. A way to plug in electric blankets for passengers. Integrating the climate control system from the Lariat models would be nice. I'll be upgrading to leather seats to make the truck more outdoor friendly and investing in some good floor mats. A good navigation system is going to be a must, and I'd like to install a CB radio and police scanner as well.

Basically I want this truck to be prepared for any eventuality as much as is possible. Any suggestions for brands/models of any of these items or ideas on how to make the truck better would be great.

Of course I'll be throwing in some extras like a bull-bar, a flood light, plenty of auxiliary lighting, fender flares, a nicer hood, HID headlights, etc as well.
Old 01-24-2014, 02:31 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I hope your pockets are as deep as your ambitions.

There are so many responses I have. But I will start out with 500 to the wheels. I think these 3 valves have 320ish at the crank if I'm not mistaken? So that alone is going to be a lot of work.

Edit. Again. Lol the more I read the more I think of a kid sitting on Santa's lap detailing his Christmas present. It just sounds unrealistic.. I'll be honest, this truck is going to be near impossible without a lot of money, time, and most importantly, dedication.

Last edited by ol_blue; 01-24-2014 at 02:37 PM.
Old 01-24-2014, 02:52 PM

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

I'm not really worried about the money aspect of it. I'm budgeting $30-45K for the project not including the actual gear and supplies. What I need is knowledge to make it happen.

I'm thinking the budget breaks down like this:
Suspension: $12,000
Engine: $10,000
Wheels/Tires: $5,000
Parts/Services: $5,000
Accessories: $5,000
Misc/Unforseen: $5,000
Old 01-24-2014, 03:25 PM

Received 532 Likes on 438 Posts

Originally Posted by Cutless009
I'm not really worried about the money aspect of it. I'm budgeting $30-45K for the project not including the actual gear and supplies. What I need is knowledge to make it happen. I'm thinking the budget breaks down like this: Suspension: $12,000 Engine: $10,000 Wheels/Tires: $5,000 Parts/Services: $5,000 Accessories: $5,000 Misc/Unforseen: $5,000

Wow!! This thread is going to get good!!!

It sounds like you sir are looking to build what I like to call a "DOOMSDAY ASSAULT VEHICLE"!!

If you don't mind me asking, what is compelling you to do this?

I suggest you start this whole project off with a whipple supercharger for sure.. That will get you the on demand power you will need, with the reliability you'd appreciate..

Then move onto gears and a minimum of a 6 inch lift with 35" tires.. Choose an AAL or a new set of heavy duty leaf springs for load carrying capacity..

Swap out the rear bumper with a solid steel plate unit. Ditch the spare tire under the bed and put a tank in its place for extra fuel.. Add a spare tire to the tailgate or hinged off a solid steel bumper, then mount some jerry cans for water, and fuel. You can also mount a foldable shovel and a high lift jack to the bumper and or tailgate..

Get some good roof and spot lighting. Light bars, and moveable A pillar spot lights. A reverse camera and a set of strobe lights hidden through the exterior of the vehicle would also be great..

With all the free bed space, I would raise the bed floor up about 8-12 inches, and store ramps, shovels, and a giant draw full of miscellaneous object you consider prudent..

I could go on but I will just help add more to this thread later.. BTW..Great thread OP! I hope you can bring this project into reality. An idea like this is something I've certainly considered myself..

Planning out a rescue truck-image-55306898.jpg

Here's a little inspiration.. F-650..

Last edited by Especial86; 01-24-2014 at 03:32 PM.
Old 01-24-2014, 03:30 PM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Wow I really hope this pans out! I'd love to see something like this come together
Old 01-24-2014, 03:35 PM

Received 51 Likes on 51 Posts

Oh hell yes! I can't wait to read all the ideas.
Old 01-24-2014, 04:26 PM
BAMF Club

Received 103 Likes on 94 Posts

Raptor with 6.2, tuner, CAI, Exhaust, almost 500hp. Swap 4.10 gears for 4.56sInvest in some Rigid LEDs, 12,000lb Winch. Stage 4+ Icon Suspension with heavy duty leafs.Read a lot. http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...-Truck-Campers
Old 01-24-2014, 04:30 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Id say the whipple for sure.. new front bumper with a power house winch (12k with synthetic line and a built in air compressor).. steering stabilizers. Hell solid front axle swap would he gold, but not a necessity.. Long travel suspension if you are really wanting to tear up the desert Baja style.
Old 01-24-2014, 04:34 PM
Captain Stringer

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

This should get REAL interesting lol. I look forward to see the progress! Good Luck!
Old 01-24-2014, 05:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

good luck and keep us updated.

Quick Reply: Planning out a rescue truck