Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

pitman or idler arm?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2014, 01:12 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default pitman or idler arm?

So i have been experiencing a click only when in motion so i jacked up the from end of the truck to figure it out. i wiggled both tires and i found the drivers side wheel has side to side play. it looks like the outer tie rod end was moving so im going to replace it this weekend.

A buddy of mine told me that it could also be the idler or pitman arm causing some side to side wobble in the tire. so i got under there and was looking for them and i cant see where they are. so i did some research hoping to find a picture and i cant find anything about a 2005 f150 4x4 idler or pitman arm. where are they at that im not seeing them. and could the idler or pitman or tierod really be the source of the clicking?

nothing clicked while i was spinning tires or trying to wobble them. i did notice that my passenger side inner cv boot would kinda groan and moan when i spun the tire so that might be it making a click but im just not sure.
Old 04-30-2014, 01:23 PM

Received 281 Likes on 217 Posts

Our trucks dont have an idler or pitman. We have rack and pinion steering.

Cicking when the wheel is rotating is more likely to be a CV joint. If it happens only when turning one way it is an outer CV. When do you here clicking, when turning, all the time? Could be an issue with your brakes if all the time or an inner CV.

However your CV joints should not be spinning when in 2wd so if they are you have another issue to deal with in the IWE system.

Last edited by Dirttracker18; 04-30-2014 at 01:27 PM.
Old 04-30-2014, 05:39 PM

yes it clicks all the time (i think) but i only notice at low speeds when i stick my head out the window. otherwise i cant hear anything from inside the cab. and my cvs were spinning cause i had the truck turned off so the axles were engaged. glad theres no pitman or idler cause i didnt see them and thought i was crazy.
Old 04-30-2014, 06:48 PM

Sounds more like your brakes.
Old 04-30-2014, 07:45 PM

Very well could be. I've never thought of that. I replaced the brake pads about a month ago with full ceramic pads. What in the brakes could cause that?
Old 04-30-2014, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by judas009
Very well could be. I've never thought of that. I replaced the brake pads about a month ago with full ceramic pads. What in the brakes could cause that?
A slightly warpped rotor tapping the pad as it spins, a spec of something on a pad, a loose pad (missing the metal tabs on both sides or ill fitting pad)
Old 04-30-2014, 09:12 PM

true. i hear what you're saying but if that were the case i should have heard it when i jacked up the front end and spun the wheel by hand. I'll take a closer look at the brakes this weekend when i replace my tie rod end.
Old 04-30-2014, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by judas009
true. i hear what you're saying but if that were the case i should have heard it when i jacked up the front end and spun the wheel by hand. I'll take a closer look at the brakes this weekend when i replace my tie rod end.
Not necessarily. Noises like that can be hard to trace and difficult to replicate just by spinning the wheel.
Old 04-30-2014, 11:09 PM

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

Clicking is most likely a cv joint. If its more of a grinding noise it may very well be wheel bearings.
Old 05-03-2014, 10:17 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I was hearing a clicking noise front my front end but only at low speeds like backing out of the driveway or pulling into a parking stall. Couldn't find anything lose. Both hub assemblies, pads, rotors, struts, were all brand new. Ended up being I had a very small vacuum leak that was causing the front hubs not to fully disengage after starting the truck. I was told the clicking noise I was hearing was the metal fork/prong in the hub was catching. Fixed the vacuum leak and no more clicking and the truck drives and steers sooooo much better!

Quick Reply: pitman or idler arm?