Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

pioneer avic 900bt

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 07:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pioneer avic 900bt

got the new touch screen pioneer navi head unit and put iu in my04 f140. was wonderingif anyone knew of a wire i could tap into to activate myack up camra when i put the truck in reverse. I really do not want to run a wire all the way from the rear tail lights to the front cab. any ideas?
thanks. I already tried the wire in the wire stereo wire harness with no luck.
Old 03-23-2009, 08:02 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

The rear back up lights are "triggered" by the switch on the transmission; problem is I think thats the ground for the reverse lamp circuit, and your head unit needs the power lead. I think your going to have to run a wire to the back and tap off of the reverse lamp positive lead to have the camera turn on only when the vehicle is in reverse.
Old 03-23-2009, 09:03 PM

thanks for the help..
Old 03-23-2009, 09:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bucko
The rear back up lights are "triggered" by the switch on the transmission; problem is I think thats the ground for the reverse lamp circuit, and your head unit needs the power lead. I think your going to have to run a wire to the back and tap off of the reverse lamp positive lead to have the camera turn on only when the vehicle is in reverse.

Um. If you are picking up the positive lead for the reverse lamp that is triggered by a negative ground switch, then that positive lead is always hot. Thus the camera will be on all the time.

Maybe I miss understanding something, but the way it sounds to me..... Is that the reverse switch is a ground switch, but his head unit wants a power signal. Only way to do that is to install a ground switched relay off the reverse switch.
Old 03-24-2009, 06:35 AM

Check out avic411.com dude, they have lots of help for this and others.
Old 03-24-2009, 06:56 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Originally Posted by rollingthunder
Um. If you are picking up the positive lead for the reverse lamp that is triggered by a negative ground switch, then that positive lead is always hot. Thus the camera will be on all the time.

Maybe I miss understanding something, but the way it sounds to me..... Is that the reverse switch is a ground switch, but his head unit wants a power signal. Only way to do that is to install a ground switched relay off the reverse switch.
Positive flows to negative. With the switch on the transmission "open", no current flow takes place. The switch on the transmission is the ground for this circuit. It opens ground, or closes ground. When the transmission is placed in reverse, the switch closes, completing the path for the current to flow to ground. It's just like the battery in the truck. If you remove the ground cable, everything is off. When you replace the ground cable, everything becomes "hot" when the circuit is energized (key in the "on" position, headlight switch turned, etc). His radio is already grounded by the other wire(s) he connected; he now needs to trigger the camera, which is this "hot" lead.

If the positive lead to the reverse lights where always hot, then the reverse lamps would always be on. Not the case here. Think of the switch on the transmission as an "on/off" switch; it is normaly open (reverse lamps off), and closes when the transmission is placed in reverse (reverse lamps on). If he connects to the positive lead, his reverse camera will come on when the reverse lamps come on, when the switch on the side of the transmission is closed, completing the ground circuit to the lamps. The positive lead would not be "hot" until it detects a completed ground circuit.

The reason for placing a switch on the gound side is that it prevents sparking or arching. This is why you are told to remove the ground cable from your battery when working on anything electrical.

Last edited by Mod (Ret.); 03-24-2009 at 08:00 AM.
Old 03-24-2009, 07:31 AM

I can use a ground circuit if the wire is hot when the ground is not open. Does the transmission switch operiate like this? If i was to use this switch where on ther trans would it be located? also does the back up wiring harness have any usable leads in it? i do not have the back up system but i think i found the wiring harness plug its green?
Old 03-24-2009, 01:33 PM
Moderator (Ret.)

Originally Posted by eacdabnow
I can use a ground circuit if the wire is hot when the ground is not open. Does the transmission switch operiate like this? If i was to use this switch where on ther trans would it be located? also does the back up wiring harness have any usable leads in it? i do not have the back up system but i think i found the wiring harness plug its green?
I cannot answer this question (color code for hot lead to backup lights) until this evening when I have access to my wiring schematics. I will PM you with this information tonight. I also believe you should be able to find this wire under the drivers side interior foot panel (long plastic piece that covers the carpet or rubber mat edge by the door opening). I can verify tonight.
Yes, the transmission switch is the ground complete circuit. It opens/closes the ground circuit for the reverse lamps.
Old 03-24-2009, 04:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bucko
Positive flows to negative. With the switch on the transmission "open", no current flow takes place. The switch on the transmission is the ground for this circuit. It opens ground, or closes ground. When the transmission is placed in reverse, the switch closes, completing the path for the current to flow to ground. It's just like the battery in the truck. If you remove the ground cable, everything is off. When you replace the ground cable, everything becomes "hot" when the circuit is energized (key in the "on" position, headlight switch turned, etc). His radio is already grounded by the other wire(s) he connected; he now needs to trigger the camera, which is this "hot" lead.

If the positive lead to the reverse lights where always hot, then the reverse lamps would always be on. Not the case here. Think of the switch on the transmission as an "on/off" switch; it is normaly open (reverse lamps off), and closes when the transmission is placed in reverse (reverse lamps on). If he connects to the positive lead, his reverse camera will come on when the reverse lamps come on, when the switch on the side of the transmission is closed, completing the ground circuit to the lamps. The positive lead would not be "hot" until it detects a completed ground circuit.

The reason for placing a switch on the gound side is that it prevents sparking or arching. This is why you are told to remove the ground cable from your battery when working on anything electrical.

False. Electricity flows from Negative to positive. Don't try to argue that because I tried with two different instructors in college and finally began to see it their way after numourus demonstartions. I was under the assumtion he was wanting to switch his camera on or off, and that the camera has it's own ground, meaning that it would be on all the time if he tapped the hot wire on the reverse lights. Which it would..... If it were grounding through the camera.
Old 03-24-2009, 05:33 PM

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by rollingthunder
False. Electricity flows from Negative to positive. Don't try to argue that because I tried with two different instructors in college and finally began to see it their way after numourus demonstartions. I was under the assumtion he was wanting to switch his camera on or off, and that the camera has it's own ground, meaning that it would be on all the time if he tapped the hot wire on the reverse lights. Which it would..... If it were grounding through the camera.
electricity does flow from negative to positive but we use it the oposite way to undrstand it better, it has no effect on any equation or whatever you have to use if you do + to -, or - to +

Quick Reply: pioneer avic 900bt