Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Picked up truck, new issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2008, 02:12 AM
Inaugural TOTM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Picked up truck, new issue

So I got the call this evening to come and picked upt he truck or I could leave it there til 3 Jun when the alignment shop they use was goign to reopen. I gladly went and picked it up and they will reimburse me for taking it to a different alignment shop.

Now I'm having a different issue which scares me. Was driving for about 30 min when I started hearing a metal on metal noise. Not like a griding noise, but like one piece of metal spinning beneath another one. My immediate concern was the differential fluid was all gone and it was my gears, not sure though. How do you check differential fluid to ensure it isn't that? I have an aftermarket cover from when I had new gears put in the truck. Here's a pic of the cover.

I also thought it may have been the new wheels or the brakes, but thought it would have done that from the moment I started driving the truck and not 30 minutes later. Anyone have any other ideas that I could check? Thanks in advance.
Old 05-30-2008, 07:27 AM
NGM
Resident A-hole

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

No idea unless a bearing got messed up in the crash and was not replaced. Might take some driving to find that. To check the diff you need a 3/8 ratchet. There is a check/fill plug on the front side of the pumpkin over the center "lip". I do not remember if its driver or passenger side. Fluid should dribble out of the hole that is perfect full.
Old 05-30-2008, 12:13 PM
Inaugural TOTM

Originally Posted by NGM
No idea unless a bearing got messed up in the crash and was not replaced. Might take some driving to find that. To check the diff you need a 3/8 ratchet. There is a check/fill plug on the front side of the pumpkin over the center "lip". I do not remember if its driver or passenger side. Fluid should dribble out of the hole that is perfect full.
Alright I remember seeing a plug on the front side, will check that. What is the best recommended fluid if I had to add?
Old 05-30-2008, 12:14 PM
Justin

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sorry to hear about this new issue. Personally, I'm clueless.

Can you tell if the noise is coming from the front or back? I'm sure you've isolated to the rear since you're refering to the rear diff. Did you have parts on the rear replaced, other than the rims/tires? Would kind of puzzle me why they would have touched the rear diff fluid if nothing was replaced back there. Then again I don't know the extent of damage from the accident.

Truly hard to say exactly what it may be after so much work was done during repair. Also without hearing the noise and from what area, it's kind of hard to isolate the issue.

Stick it to them once you find the problem.
Old 05-30-2008, 01:40 PM
07 5.4 SCREW

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

make sure you call them and let them know the problem too. Or take it back to them. Document everything, even the time of the call (if you ever need to back up your story of calling them to let them know, you can get your phone records--cell phone). A lot of places like to claim they never heard anything from youl to get the blame off of them.
Old 05-30-2008, 05:08 PM
Inaugural TOTM

Alright I really feel like a dummy because I found the problem and it wasn't anything to get paranoid about. Refer back to my initial post when I said it sounded like metal spinning beneath another piece of metal, well that's exactly what it was. On the back wheel their's a shield behind the rotor. The one on the driver's side got slightly bent somehow (probably from when the theives stole the old wheels and tires and probably had the truck sitting on the ground) and was rubbing the rotor. I took a screwdriver, bent it back out and instantly no more noise. Man I am so happy to have my truck back now and it looks great.

I will make sure to get some pics up this weekend after I clean her all up.
Old 05-30-2008, 05:18 PM
Bleed FORD Blue

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Thats good to hear that it was no big deal. But I am glad to hear that you finally got your truck back after all that time I bet it feels like a new truck all over again! Enjoy it
Old 05-30-2008, 05:44 PM
Driver carries no money.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man 3 months without your truck must have been pure hell!

Glad to hear she's back in your hands and trouble free! Just watch out for those crazy Hawaiin drivers! Even the Haole ones! LOL!
Old 05-30-2008, 07:19 PM
Inaugural TOTM

Oh trust me I am watching out, right now I think I'm more careful than I ever was when driving my truck. Just afraid it's going to be hit again so soon after getting her back.

My only problem at this point is the new tires rub at full crank so I have to do some trimming on the rear of the fenderwall. What's the best way to trim this area?
Old 05-30-2008, 08:29 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by wxmcpo
Oh trust me I am watching out, right now I think I'm more careful than I ever was when driving my truck. Just afraid it's going to be hit again so soon after getting her back.

My only problem at this point is the new tires rub at full crank so I have to do some trimming on the rear of the fenderwall. What's the best way to trim this area?

yeah bro people are morons on the road!!!
i pull out of my driveway and go down the block and im inches away from hitting the car to the right of me and some idiot always tries to fit inbetween my car and another parked car on the other side and curses me off. im like WTF? so confused and today i was going 25 down a side street and see this guy whip around the corner cut into my lane and fly pat me literally no like 3 inches away from side swipping my car. i didnt know what to do so i kept driving i was so shocked how stupid people really are and how they dont care about themselves or others.

Quick Reply: Picked up truck, new issue