Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

PHP Pegasus Software

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2014, 11:29 PM
TOTM November 2019

Received 11,600 Likes on 6,204 Posts

Default PHP Pegasus Software

So another user on here said he installed Pegasus on his Edge, for free. I am assuming it is just the software he installed and not any sort of a tune with it. He said it lit up with a "dragon" after he downloaded it to his Edge. I asked him what his setting were on PHP's 87 Tow, with no reply. I decided I would install Pegasus on my computer and guess what? It would not let me unless I uninstalled the Edge Products drivers from my computer......really PHP??? Not sure why there is a conflict. I did email PHP about installing the Pegasus software and if it did anything to the Edge other than install the software for the use of their custom tunes. More to come.
Old 07-11-2014, 08:42 AM

Received 228 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by Summers22
So another user on here said he installed Pegasus on his Edge, for free. I am assuming it is just the software he installed and not any sort of a tune with it. He said it lit up with a "dragon" after he downloaded it to his Edge. I asked him what his setting were on PHP's 87 Tow, with no reply. I decided I would install Pegasus on my computer and guess what? It would not let me unless I uninstalled the Edge Products drivers from my computer......really PHP??? Not sure why there is a conflict. I did email PHP about installing the Pegasus software and if it did anything to the Edge other than install the software for the use of their custom tunes. More to come.
Bill at PHP used to write programs for Edge. As far as I know PHP(Pegasus) update software, was his version of Edge's software, for loading in their custom tunes, or just updating any stock Griffins(Not Dragons, Lol). The Griffin is the original Mono Chrome Edge tuner, painted black, instead of Gray. I doubt there is much difference between Bill's canned Tunes Vs. Edge's, at least I never felt a difference until I got my Custom Tunes.

Yes, if you update your Edge, with Pegasus, it does become a Griffin, technically.

I had to do the same, uninstall my Edge update driver's, to let Pegasus install it's drivers, It not a matter of Really? PHP?, but that your pc will get confused on which Driver to Use. Kinda like running an AMD and NVIDIA Graphics card on the same system, you have to able to disable the card that is not getting used Drivers for the other to work, if that makes sense.

Last edited by RajunKajun59; 07-11-2014 at 08:47 AM.
Old 07-11-2014, 08:54 AM
TOTM November 2019

Thanks for the clarification on the driver conflict. I just have a hard time believing that PHP's custom tunes would do much more for my truck that what I have customized on my Edge. I consistently get 0-60 times of around 6.4 seconds and my best 1/4 mile time is 14.99 @ 90 mph. I also average 17.5 mpg's on my daily commute. Is the $60 for custom tunes going to do any more for me than that?
Old 07-11-2014, 02:28 PM

Depending on your mods. The biggest difference you will notice between a Griffin and Edge, is the Accelerator response time, and it gets better with a custom tune. Mine no longer wants to fall on it's face when it is first pushed. Drops gear and goes now. I went custom because I wanted lost power from my 33" tires back, the canned tunes got close, but the custom tune was better. If you are running a CAI, and some good performance exhaust, it is well worth the custom tune. Depending on your year, with just a CAI, a custom tune will save you from throwing Lean codes. I had the Gotts done and Mgnaflow exhaust, w/ 33" tires, I told bill I wanted as much power back as he could get me on my 87 custom tow and 93 performance. The Tow setting I found to be way better than, the canned tunes by both Edge and Griffin. The performance tune, was a waste in my opinion, I rarely used it and I felt hardly any difference from the one I tweaked before hand. Do keep in mind Bill and his son can program things on these tuners we ca't so, sometimes a Custom is needed but on stock parts You may not notice much difference.
Old 07-11-2014, 02:46 PM
TOTM November 2019

I just have exhaust, no CAI. These trucks flow just fine with the stock intake. When I added the Edge, throttle lag was 100% gone and its hauls a@@ when I floor it.
Old 07-12-2014, 02:46 AM

Received 78 Likes on 77 Posts

I will agree with that my 4.6 with a CAI vx exhaust and 3.55 gears on canned level 2 from edge will haul ***** too I love it but I plan on headers dual exhaust and maybe accel coils and maybe ZEX's new plugs so custom might be best for me also I'm running +10 on all gears shift firmness and added +.5 on the timing
Old 07-13-2014, 04:42 PM
TOTM November 2019

I have the 5.4 with just exhaust, new plugs, fuel filter, Gotts mod, clean throttle body and MAF. I run the Edge level 2 with all shift points at +10, +.25 on timing since our gas sucks, rev limiter at 5600 rpm, WOF is at +1.5, 1-2 WOT at 5100, 2-3 WOT at 5100 and 3-4 WOT at 4900. Last 0-60 was 6.2 seconds and I am more than happy with those numbers!
Old 07-15-2014, 07:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I spoke to them at PHP I said that I wanted a custom tune for 87 Tow, and 87 Performance, that's when they told me that all I would need is to do the free update to Gryphon, and purchase an 87 Performance tune because the 87 Tow would already be there.

I'm not really positive, but it seems that when I towed my camper last weekend, the shifting seemed quite different than with the stock edge tow tune, however I haven't used it since last year when I towed my camper, hard to be sure.

It just seems that they had an opportunity to sell me 2 tunes and didn't due to the fact that 1 of them was already there?

I haven't ordered the 87 performance yet but I will.
Old 07-15-2014, 07:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I forgot to mention that I'm not sure how to get the settings out, and I haven't had a chance to fool with it, I will though.
Old 07-15-2014, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by 54d18
When I spoke to them at PHP I said that I wanted a custom tune for 87 Tow, and 87 Performance, that's when they told me that all I would need is to do the free update to Gryphon, and purchase an 87 Performance tune because the 87 Tow would already be there.

I'm not really positive, but it seems that when I towed my camper last weekend, the shifting seemed quite different than with the stock edge tow tune, however I haven't used it since last year when I towed my camper, hard to be sure.

It just seems that they had an opportunity to sell me 2 tunes and didn't due to the fact that 1 of them was already there?

I haven't ordered the 87 performance yet but I will.
Originally Posted by 54d18
I forgot to mention that I'm not sure how to get the settings out, and I haven't had a chance to fool with it, I will though.
They didn't miss the opportunity, they have had time to get their canned tunes costumed for Stock Engines, w/ the Gotts, or a Cat Back System.

By get the settings out? What do you mean. Go back to the Stock Edge or remove return to default settings from what you have set.

One of these days I am going to learn it's Gryphon, not Griffin.