Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

PCM reprogramming with TPMS

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2015, 11:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default PCM reprogramming with TPMS

Alright so I have a 2006 SCREW XLT that had issues with the instrument cluster about a year or so ago. I had taken it to the dealer to reassure that there were no problems with the truck and that the dash was malfunctioning. It was way cheaper for me to pull one out of a 2008 FX4 than to buy one so that's what I did. Cluster was plug and play and everything worked like a charm except the TPMS. My truck has never had the sensors in the tires so I knew the light would come on. Joker at the dealership reassured me that if I were to buy new valve stem sensors that there would be no issue linking them up to the cluster well as of yesterday that is not the case. Had the sensors installed with the tires went through the relearning process and the light would go out then come back on flashing. The pcm in my 2006 is brand new from ford (had issues last year) but when the shop was linked up to it there is no software for the tpms and they told me that both the pcm and dash have to have tpms compatibility. So called ford told me that yeah the pcm is the issue and I need to buy another one for a 2008...(850 plus labor and keys) LOL no. Since this is a new PCM and has never been flashed etc can ford reprogram it or update it so it has tpms information?
Old 02-12-2015, 02:11 PM

Received 48 Likes on 46 Posts

If they installed the Pcm and you had problems and are still having problems then you should definately not call but go to ford and sort it out with the service manager. If he doesn't help you then go over his head and talk with the highest person there at the moment.
Old 02-12-2015, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by bourgeois1269
If they installed the Pcm and you had problems and are still having problems then you should definately not call but go to ford and sort it out with the service manager. If he doesn't help you then go over his head and talk with the highest person there at the moment.
yeah I think it is going to come down to that. I was hoping my local dealership could figure it out since the one that installed the PCM is about 2 1/2 hours away from where I am currently located
Old 02-13-2015, 10:29 AM
Mark

Received 2,410 Likes on 2,111 Posts

I think your problem is that 2006 PCM never had TPMS in it... it was not mandated until 2008 which your cluster is from... not sure you can even program it into a 2006 PCM.
Old 02-13-2015, 01:24 PM

Received 48 Likes on 46 Posts

^^^^^i conquer but if he had the sensors added and the newer pcm already has it, wouldn't they link together. That's just a question; but if they installed the sensors knowing it wouldn't work or "thinking" it would work (very unprofessional) then I would be one pi@#ed off individual and would be heading to ford with my receipt and demand some answers and some money. That's just me and how I handle things when ppl try and get over on me and my hard earned money and taking care of my truck. Sorry I could go on all day on what I would have done
Old 02-13-2015, 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by techrep
I think your problem is that 2006 PCM never had TPMS in it... it was not mandated until 2008 which your cluster is from... not sure you can even program it into a 2006 PCM.
That is the problem the 2006 PCM doesn't have TPMS in it. I just hoped that with a brand new PCM it would have had the latest software but if you're replacing one from a 2006 they're going to put one for a 2006 back in it. Also I was curious if you could update TPMS information since tuners can upload information and change shift points/speedometer and things like that.
Old 02-13-2015, 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by bourgeois1269
^^^^^i conquer but if he had the sensors added and the newer pcm already has it, wouldn't they link together. That's just a question; but if they installed the sensors knowing it wouldn't work or "thinking" it would work (very unprofessional) then I would be one pi@#ed off individual and would be heading to ford with my receipt and demand some answers and some money. That's just me and how I handle things when ppl try and get over on me and my hard earned money and taking care of my truck. Sorry I could go on all day on what I would have done
well ford didn't install the valve sensors, I just swung in after work and asked one of the techs if there would be any issues before I ordered the sensors. So prior to my knowledge now, I did not know that the PCM and Cluster had to be TPMS compatible. I was under the impression that the cluster would pick them up since that is what he told me. I spent a little under 120 on the sensors and the tire shop wants 20/tire to unmount and remount and remove the sensors so if I were to return the sensors at this rate im out 40 bucks. Is that really worth my time and gas..? no. The PCM now that's a different story. What they gave me is for my truck and 100% operational with no issues. The cluster swap is on me, so being beat on the sensors is really the only issue along with the annoying TPMS indicator light. I just wish someone here has an idea of the storage capacity of the PCM even though I feel like there is no way around the fact that either a 2008 TPMS pcm is required or a later cluster to avoid the light lol.
Old 02-14-2015, 07:55 AM

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by techrep
It was mandated in 07, my 07 lariat has it.
Old 02-14-2015, 08:51 AM
Mark

Received 2,410 Likes on 2,111 Posts

Originally Posted by ford4wd08
It was mandated in 07, my 07 lariat has it.
No... your 07 had them a year earlie like my wifes 07 4 runner .. all 08 and above it was required by law to be installed..

Quick Reply: PCM reprogramming with TPMS