Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Pcm reflash?

Old 01-26-2016, 12:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pcm reflash?

Can i get a reflash of the pcm at the dealer? Symptoms are hard shifts into second when cold low idle and poor throttle response. 2004 5.4 fx4
Old 01-26-2016, 04:52 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

Sure, but are you sure this will fix your symptoms?
Old 01-26-2016, 05:02 AM

Originally Posted by Bucko
Sure, but are you sure this will fix your symptoms?
Almost positive I change the transmission fluid and filter and I've also clean the throttle body and mass air flow sensor and I relearned the idle and transmission shift points when I did so. The outside temperature gauge will also read about 10 degrees off
Old 01-26-2016, 07:07 AM

Received 61 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Lap99xlt
Almost positive I change the transmission fluid and filter and I've also clean the throttle body and mass air flow sensor and I relearned the idle and transmission shift points when I did so. The outside temperature gauge will also read about 10 degrees off
yes, you can get a reflash it pay's a hour so whatever your shops hourly rate is.. most likely close to 100-130 bucks.

only ford can do it unless some indi shop has a ford ids
Old 01-26-2016, 08:15 AM
MGD
former member

Received 856 Likes on 613 Posts

Howdy!

And how are you going to feel, after having it flashed, if you just to return to the same symptoms?

Rule of thumb - before disconnecting the batt to clear KAM, you should attempt to retrieve all stored codes, pending or otherwise (no CEL needs to be present). This at least gives you a cogent starting point.

Next - did someone say 'Maintenance'? What haven't you done? Plugs/boots, fuel filter, et, etc? Run some Techron? Checked yer VCT solenoid screens for blockage? Checked CMCV actuator function (need a mirror and an assistant)? Rodent nest in the air filter?

Can you describe just how you cleaned the MAF/TB?

In other words - more data is required before you arbitrarily throw a reflash at this concern.

A good read: http://www.fordservicecontent.com/fo...t/OBDSM407.pdf

BTW - the PCM has nothing to do with yer outside temp display. That is likely a failing (or even dirty) sensing element.

good luck
MGD

Last edited by MGD; 01-26-2016 at 08:29 AM. Reason: arr billy ... spellin', lol
Old 01-26-2016, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by MGD
Howdy!

And how are you going to feel, after having it flashed, if you just to return to the same symptoms?

Rule of thumb - before disconnecting the batt to clear KAM, you should attempt to retrieve all stored codes, pending or otherwise (no CEL needs to be present). This at least gives you a cogent starting point.

Next - did someone say 'Maintenance'? What haven't you done? Plugs/boots, fuel filter, et, etc? Run some Techron? Checked yer VCT solenoid screens for blockage? Checked CMCV actuator function (need a mirror and an assistant)? Rodent nest in the air filter?

Can you describe just how you cleaned the MAF/TB?

In other words - more data is required before you arbitrarily throw a reflash at this concern.

A good read: http://www.fordservicecontent.com/fo...t/OBDSM407.pdf

BTW - the PCM has nothing to do with yer outside temp display. That is likely a failing (or even dirty) sensing element.

good luck
MGD
New fuel filter plugs coils vct solenoids and disconnected battery to clean tb and maf removed them both from engine
Old 01-26-2016, 11:25 AM
MGD
former member

New fuel filter plugs coils vct solenoids and disconnected battery to clean tb and maf removed them both from engine
Stored codes, Mode $06 data before you cleared the PCM?

What plugs and COPs were used, dielectric applied properly.

Sorry - just collecting info is all - eliminating as much low-hanging fruit as possible in an effort to save you some coin. Does not take much to cause this drivetrain to misbehave - and it's really picky about the quality of parts being used.

For all we know you have separate issues - a trans on the way out, and an engine problem. Hell-fahr, e'en thet li'l FPDM bastige been know't t'booger folks up, lol. Gitchee Mark-1 Eyebawl on 'er an' rule 'er out, aight. Monitor the FP PID.

However - you seem anxious and predisposed to getting that reflash done. I'll not try and stop ye, lol.

MGD
Old 01-26-2016, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by MGD
Stored codes, Mode $06 data before you cleared the PCM?

What plugs and COPs were used, dielectric applied properly.

Sorry - just collecting info is all - eliminating as much low-hanging fruit as possible in an effort to save you some coin. Does not take much to cause this drivetrain to misbehave - and it's really picky about the quality of parts being used.

For all we know you have separate issues - a trans on the way out, and an engine problem. Hell-fahr, e'en thet li'l FPDM bastige been know't t'booger folks up, lol. Gitchee Mark-1 Eyebawl on 'er an' rule 'er out, aight. Monitor the FP PID.

However - you seem anxious and predisposed to getting that reflash done. I'll not try and stop ye, lol.

MGD
Reflash fixed it all
Old 01-26-2016, 06:34 PM
MGD
former member

Reflash fixed it all
Good to hear!

How long did you need to let Adaptive run?

Although, I'd surely like to know how it fixed the outside temp display, since that's the cluster.

MGD
Old 01-26-2016, 07:19 PM

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

MGD- where is this so called " That is likely a failing (or even dirty) sensing element." My outside temp display has a mind of it's own.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Pcm reflash?