Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

PATS light..

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2014, 12:52 AM
Triton54HD

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
Default PATS light..

So i went a 300 mile trip and while I was driving (thought I was going crazy seeing things) I say the PATS light blink. not steadily but a quick single flash every so often. couldnt really pin point a time interval between the flashes. I also periodically hear a clicking sound coming from behind the cluster or somewhere in the dash(been chasing that noise for about a year now) more irritating than anything else. I have an auto start that was put in professionally and I also brought it back because of the clicking. they changed the receiver, but nothing changed. like I said just annoying nothing else seems amiss, so just curious what all you fine people might think..

Thanks.
Old 07-26-2014, 02:09 PM

Received 63 Likes on 60 Posts

Do you know what bypass unit they installed for the chipped key? It sounds like they've cut key-sense (although that's easy to test - does the ignition ding with key in and door open) or something else. Do you know the model # of the auto start you have as well?

You would be amazed at how many installs I see where the installer has done things such as leaving the bypass permanently powered (thus removing your chipped key security altogether - very bad for antitheft). To me, it sounds like they've disconnected something or similar during regular operation of the truck. Has it always done that since the remote starter do you know?

As for the clicking... Does your remote start turn the park lights on at all when it's running from remote start (keep in mind, Autolights has to be in the off position)? If so, when the clicking happens, can you tell if the park lights are flashing? Usually the clicking is the remote start unit (and possibly basic alarm built into it) going off.... I'd imagine you don't have a siren or horn output so that's why you're likely not hearing any honking or siren of course. It sounds like you're triggering the remote start's basic alarm and that's why it starts clicking. It's probably clicking for a few minutes or seconds (maybe 30?) then stops? I installed a Zenesis remote start unit (there's a reason they're out of business) and it was horrible. We didn't care for the alarm but we couldn't turn it off. The reason I'm thinking it's triggered a built-in alarm is that even the Compustar remote-start only units have a built-in alarm (off by default) but you cannot plug-in external sensors (to an extent). If the feature is off, there's never really an issue. If the feature is on and components aren't wired correctly, it'll usually trigger when the driver puts the ignition on or similar. It's never wired because the intended purpose wasn't to have the alarm function (but it can still be triggered if the person does the correct sequence and the option is on). I've never heard very bad about Auto Start (I prefer Compustar personally) but it all points to an installation issue to me. One way you can likely test this is lock the truck with your remote start remote control, open the door with the key. It probably won't trigger anything because they didn't likely hook up the door sense wire, but turn the ignition key to the on position. See if the clicking starts happening...

My guess is, when you hear that clicking if you pull over and look under the dash, you should be able to find the Autostart unit. If you put your hand on the box you'll probably feel the clicking coming from there. This would confirm it's triggered it's "alarm".

I hope this makes sense?

Last edited by homer; 07-26-2014 at 02:22 PM.
Old 03-05-2015, 08:39 PM
Triton54HD

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Homer. the alarm system I have is an Avital system and has never made a noise after it was installed(been installed 5 years). only about a 1 1/2 ago has the PATS light blink occasionally while driving and the clicking behind the cluster happen(clicking happens pretty regularly) I have had the remote start checked 3 times already even disconnected as a way to eliminate it from the issue, and the clicking still persists. yesterday on my way home the PATS light lit up for about 30s or so then turned off. no ill effects were noticed while this happened. On an unrelated note my abs light came on last year still chasing that gremlin. I would imagine that is not related at all. could be wrong though..
Sorry it took so long to respond back to this thread. I'm bad about that.

Quick Reply: PATS light..