Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Passenger HID light flickering, sometimes won't come on at all

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2016, 03:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Passenger HID light flickering, sometimes won't come on at all

Im having some problems with my passenger side HID headlight. sometimes i turn it on and it doesn't come on at all, but MOST of the time it just flickers for a while and then eventually turns off, I've tried switching the bulbs from driver to passenger side, and the same issue remains on the passenger side, so its not the bulbs, it has a good ground i checked with a multimeter. i have not tried to switch the ballasts yet i ran out of time. is anyone savvy with HID troubleshooting?
Old 02-07-2016, 03:37 PM

Received 143 Likes on 109 Posts

Sounds like the ballast. Switch it and see if the problem follows.
Old 02-07-2016, 03:37 PM

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by ChrisThomas
Im having some problems with my passenger side HID headlight. sometimes i turn it on and it doesn't come on at all, but MOST of the time it just flickers for a while and then eventually turns off, I've tried switching the bulbs from driver to passenger side, and the same issue remains on the passenger side, so its not the bulbs, it has a good ground i checked with a multimeter. i have not tried to switch the ballasts yet i ran out of time. is anyone savvy with HID troubleshooting?
It's either the ballast or the controller.
My passenger side one did the same thing.
Switched ballasts and bulbs, still same thing.
I removed my HID's and went back to Halogens.
Will troubleshoot the controller when summer rolls around and it stops being cold and rainy.
Old 02-07-2016, 03:52 PM

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

You need a relay harness. I didn't run one in my last truck and had the same issues. Just installed my setup and ran one and have no issues. Flickering could be from the ballast but more than likely due to the lack of a harness allowing the power to run directly from the battery.
Old 02-08-2016, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by cmstric
You need a relay harness. I didn't run one in my last truck and had the same issues. Just installed my setup and ran one and have no issues. Flickering could be from the ballast but more than likely due to the lack of a harness allowing the power to run directly from the battery.

I do have a harness on my setup, wired directly to the battery. Can i just buy a new pair of ballasts by them selves?
Old 02-08-2016, 07:14 PM

Received 143 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by ChrisThomas
I do have a harness on my setup, wired directly to the battery. Can i just buy a new pair of ballasts by them selves?
Have you swapped ballasts yet to make sure they are the problem?

If I recall, TRS has some ballasts in their close out section.
Old 02-08-2016, 09:23 PM

i havent swapped blasts yet, i haven't had the time, hopefully i will have time tomorrow after work. i can't think of any other reason one light wouldn't work, i have them on their own harness. and checked all grounds
Old 02-08-2016, 09:31 PM
TOTM November 2019

Received 11,600 Likes on 6,204 Posts

What brand is the bulbs, ballasts and harness?
Old 02-09-2016, 04:46 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

Back when I was uneducated in the way of HID's in a non projector housing, I would use the cheap eBay type kits. I think I bought at least 3 of these kits (one for my sons car) before I finally realized that 8 out of 10 of these kits are cheap; they work great for awhile spattering light everywhere when installed in the stock headlight housings (non projector), and after about 6 months (sometimes earlier), they start to flicker and quit all together.
As summers22 asks, what brand did you purchase?
Old 02-09-2016, 05:42 PM

The kit was made by inovited i belive. Its been very good actually. Ive had the setup for almost 3 years now without a hiccup. Never hesitated when warming up, ive spilled stuff on the ballasts and had them exposed to pouring rain. This is the only issue ive had, all the compenents seem to be of good quality

Quick Reply: Passenger HID light flickering, sometimes won't come on at all