Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Parking my truck by a tree in hopes it falls

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2014, 09:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parking my truck by a tree in hopes it falls

Check one more thing off the list that did not fix my problem. Going on 3 weeks now.
So far I've changed:
Plugs, Coils, Motor Mounts, Timing Chains, Tensioners, Guides, Cam Phasers, Drivers Side VCT, fixed the foam on the air intake, ran seafoam through the brake booster, tried an oil flush 3 times tonight and even with the cleaner the oil came out looking new each time. (I should have pissed on that $100 instead of churning and burning through 21 quarts of oil). On the last one I decided to jump to 10W-30 to see if that would help out with oil pressure. Sure it worked until the motor warmed like every other time and then it went diesel again almost wanting to cut off. Tap on the gas and she clears right out. I've read and been told to take off the valve covers and start the engine to make sure oil is flowing in the back two cylinders on the drivers side and the front two on the passenger...something to do with which way the oil flows on each side.
When I took out the drivers side VCT solenoid the screen was missing along with plastic ring that retains them on 2 of the ports.

I really wish I knew where those could have gone to in the engine. The had to go in those ports that feed into the engine block but I couldn't find anything from what I could see or feel.

Tomorrow I will test the oil pressure if I can figure out how to hook the hose up to do it. What do I do if oil pressure is low? Burn through 21 more quarts hoping to clean it out with additives? It seems to have done nothing.
Speaking of nothing...I put half a can of seafoam in the brake booster and didn't get a puff of smoke. A little hesitation and then I got on it for a few minutes and never saw anything.Why not? Clogged Cats?
After the oil pressure test I need to either park it by the road or by a tree in hopes something disastrous happens to it from what my research tells me. Everyone in my situation seems to be stuck at this point.
Old 03-11-2014, 09:44 PM

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Can you tell us a little more about the original problem that led you replace all that? Diesel noise and loss of power? What codes are you seeing? Hot/cold, idle, RPM speed? Lots of smart folks here, (me excluded), but a little more info would help Why are you thinking oil pressure is low?

I'm a bit concerned about the missing screen, but would hope it ends up in the oil pan.
Old 03-11-2014, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by Mechanik
Can you tell us a little more about the original problem that led you replace all that? Diesel noise and loss of power? What codes are you seeing? Hot/cold, idle, RPM speed? Lots of smart folks here, (me excluded), but a little more info would help Why are you thinking oil pressure is low?

I'm a bit concerned about the missing screen, but would hope it ends up in the oil pan.
Out of the blue one day my I thought my engine was going to blow up. The engine was rocking to death in the engine compartment and moving 2-3" from drivers side to passenger side. I replaced the motor mounts.

This dulled the shaking but it continued. Did research and decided it had to be the timing components. Replaced all timing components and found guide on left side broken. See pic below. Never found that piece of plastic.

Put it all back together and problem continued. Only when the vehicle gets warm and at low RPM. I can give it a little gas and it clears right out and runs fine. It sounds like any other diesel sounding f150.

Next I replaced drivers side VCT because I pulled a P0022 code. When I pulled it I found ( PIC BELOW) the screens and plastic rings missing. Could not see where they went to.
Put it back together and noise continued. Flushed oil, etc....noise continued.
It runs great cold but once warm the 600-900 range is a knocking bassturd.
Attached Thumbnails Parking my truck by a tree in hopes it falls-img_20140302_154509_007.jpg   Parking my truck by a tree in hopes it falls-img_20140308_153049_339.jpg  
Old 03-11-2014, 11:03 PM

not the tick...this is straight turbo diesel in cold weather sounding
Old 03-12-2014, 03:05 AM

Received 80 Likes on 73 Posts

Have you pulled the oil pan and checked the pickup tube and screen? Fairly easy proceedure. When I did my timing components I also replaced the oil pump since it was torn down and accessible. This was for my piece of mind. Also, did you replace the VCT solenoids with the latest revision? They are supposed to maintain better oil pressure to the top-end and are actually cheeper than previous versions- around $38/piece at Tasca.
Old 03-12-2014, 02:24 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by EBC-150
Have you pulled the oil pan and checked the pickup tube and screen? Fairly easy proceedure. When I did my timing components I also replaced the oil pump since it was torn down and accessible. This was for my piece of mind. Also, did you replace the VCT solenoids with the latest revision? They are supposed to maintain better oil pressure to the top-end and are actually cheeper than previous versions- around $38/piece at Tasca.
Do you know the part # on Tasca for the VCT solenoids? I have not been able to find them via keyword search. $38 is not bad. Hoping this will help with my loud tick that just developed last week.
Old 03-12-2014, 04:02 PM

Received 532 Likes on 438 Posts

Originally Posted by SafeCrackerCam
Out of the blue one day my I thought my engine was going to blow up. The engine was rocking to death in the engine compartment and moving 2-3" from drivers side to passenger side. I replaced the motor mounts. This dulled the shaking but it continued. Did research and decided it had to be the timing components. Replaced all timing components and found guide on left side broken. See pic below. Never found that piece of plastic. Put it all back together and problem continued. Only when the vehicle gets warm and at low RPM. I can give it a little gas and it clears right out and runs fine. It sounds like any other diesel sounding f150. Next I replaced drivers side VCT because I pulled a P0022 code. When I pulled it I found ( PIC BELOW) the screens and plastic rings missing. Could not see where they went to. Put it back together and noise continued. Flushed oil, etc....noise continued. It runs great cold but once warm the 600-900 range is a knocking bassturd.
Whats up with that solenoid? The screens in the wrong spot, and you are missing another.. Parking my truck by a tree in hopes it falls-image-2416869105.jpg These are the 3 solenoids ford issued for the 3v... The left is the latest..

Last edited by Especial86; 03-12-2014 at 04:20 PM.
Old 03-12-2014, 04:22 PM

The only part I could find on tasca was the cam sensor for $28. Is the cam sensor the same as the vct solenoid?
Old 03-12-2014, 05:08 PM

Received 532 Likes on 438 Posts

Originally Posted by henduford
The only part I could find on tasca was the cam sensor for $28. Is the cam sensor the same as the vct solenoid?
No its not the same..

http://www.shopfreedomracing.com/54L...3Z-6M280-B.htm
Attached Thumbnails Parking my truck by a tree in hopes it falls-image-3745872505.jpg  
Old 03-12-2014, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by Especial86
Awesome thank you! Looks like there are 2 seals to choose from, 1.8"diameter off center hole and a 1.4" center hole. How do I know which one to get?

Quick Reply: Parking my truck by a tree in hopes it falls