Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Parking break doesnt work!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 09:48 AM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Parking break doesnt work!!!

When I bought my truck, I knew the parking brake didnt work and I was fine with that! Now, I want to try to fix the dang thing. Does anyone has any info on how to fix or if this is something easy to do? I have a 2004 f150 4x4 screw. The parking break sensor has been on ever since I bought the truck. Any info is greatly appreciated!
Old 12-20-2012, 10:27 AM
Sheep Dog

Received 327 Likes on 196 Posts

You have to take it apart first to find out what's wrong. If you are not familiar with the system, the rear brakes are a combination disc/drum, with the disc brakes being the service brake and the drum brake being the parking brake. What are your symptoms? Can you push the parking brake pedal down and lock it? Does the parking brake simply not hold the truck? Anything could be wrong, from a rusted/frozen parking brake cable to broken shoes to simple misadjustment.

FWIW, I use the parking brake every time I park any vehicle. It's a double safety in case the transmission parking pawl were to break (very unlikely) but also exercises the parts so that they never rust and freeze in place. I do the same with the 4x4 system once a week and the shift motor on my TC is dead silent. It works, you just can't hear it. The only thing you hear is the soft knock from the IWE solenoid engaging. It's a good practice to get into.

Last edited by VTX1800N1; 12-20-2012 at 10:35 AM.
Old 12-20-2012, 10:34 AM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I think the cable is not connected. The brake pedal does lock in but when I push it down I dont feel any tension.
Old 12-20-2012, 10:44 AM
Sheep Dog

Received 327 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by Bamadude
I think the cable is not connected. The brake pedal does lock in but when I push it down I dont feel any tension.
Crawl under the truck by the back wheels. You can see the cable run along the frame and it attaches to a lever that goes through the back plate on each wheel. Have someone press the parking brake pedal while you watch (or just note the position of the lever before and after the pedal is pressed). Check both sides. If no lever movement, then your cable is disconnected or broken somewhere. Check to see if the cable is still connected to the parking brake pedal in the cab. Fix if needed or replace the broken cable. If the levers both move (one per wheel) and there is no tension, then the problem is either adjustment or broken parts inside the drum parking brake. Take the rear wheels off, remove the calipers (don't let them hang by the brake hose) and remove the disc/drum and inspect. Brakes are fairly simple and easy to work on.
The following users liked this post:
Bamadude (12-20-2012)

Quick Reply: Parking break doesnt work!!!