Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Parking Brake Light + ABS Light

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2016, 10:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parking Brake Light + ABS Light

Fellow F150 owners,

I actually have two problems rolled into one:
1) firstly, sometimes when I start my 2004 5.4 SCREW I get the park brake light and ABS light stay on. This doesn't happen everytime and makes me think something is loose. I have checked around every inch of brake line and there isn't any leaks. Brakes feel good bt obviously the ABS is disabled. Any help?

2) how can you open your hood when you accidently shut it with the cab locked and the keys on the intake manifold (I was checking brake fluid level)?

TIA
Old 06-23-2016, 12:41 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

For number one, couple things you can check for the park brake light. Confirm your parking brake pedal fully retracts once released. On mine I actually have to pull the release handle AND pull up on the foot pedal as my return spring must be wearing out.

If that doesn't work and your getting flickering effect, it's common the instrument panel connector wiggles a lot with vibration and makes the solder joints the connector is on brittle and prone to slight increase in resistance making it think its getting a signal from the park brake switch or low fluid level in the master cylinder. Easy remedy is to take a solder iron to the connectors solder joints and re flow them, it's the left connector once you pop off the plastics above the panel.

As for number two I hope someone has been through this before and knows a way, I don't. Good luck.

Last edited by derp; 06-23-2016 at 01:57 PM. Reason: Because I'm sleepy, thanks for pointing that out techrep!
Old 06-23-2016, 01:41 PM
Mark

Received 2,410 Likes on 2,111 Posts

Oh my... ABS is not an AIR Bag light.. ABS = Anti Lock Brake system ..for one...I don't recall seeing a "Parking"Brake Light on the cluster...I believe it just says Brake as Brakes.. and ...yes it is activated when you mash the parking brake. first thing I would do is drive by your local advance or auto zone and have them read the ABS code for you...It's free. this will tell you which ABS sensor may be causing the problem. This may also be why the Brake light is on. Was the brake fluid level correct ? low fluid will trigger the Brake light also...not the ABS light. Check the wires going to the front ABS sensors at each wheel hub...something from the road may of hit the wire and broke the connection.

Quick Reply: Parking Brake Light + ABS Light